- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 118
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
This course can be found in: MTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTEL study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis study guide course prepares you for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Foundations of Reading exam. Use these fun lessons and quizzes to review the types of reading, vocabulary, literature and instructional concepts you'll need to know to earn a high score on the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTEL Courses
About This Course
Beginning with the very roots of written and spoken language, our experienced instructors will give you a complete refresher on all the topics needed to pass the MTEL Foundations of Reading test. This course covers phonetics and oral language development, as well as strategies for teaching reading and encouraging a love of reading in students. Also covered are the alphabet, print awareness, spelling, and other topics pulled from the material tested on the exam. The lessons in this course come complete with quizzes and practice exams to help ensure retention of the material. The course is also accessible on any Internet-connected device, which helps you study at home, work, school or wherever it's convenient.
Check out our MTEL test prep materials! We've got MTEL courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTEL study guides to help you study, MTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
The lessons in this course are aligned with the MTEL Foundation of Reading exam's content. As you work through the course, you'll strengthen your instructional and assessment skills, as well as your understanding of literary analysis. By the end of the course, you should be equipped to:
- Define phonological and phonemic awareness
- Explain the alphabet principle
- Develop reading comprehension skills in students
- Outline the process of oral language and vocabulary development
- Identify literary genres
- Educate students on works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry and drama
- Recognize the functions of common literary devices
- Teach emergent literacy and literacy-rich environments
- Utilize effective assessment and teaching strategies
This course consists of 19 topical chapters and a total of 189 lessons that are taught by expert English instructors. The lessons are short, to-the-point and entertaining. Following each lesson is a short quiz, and each chapter concludes with a comprehensive multiple-choice exam. If you have a question at any point during your test preparation experience, simply take advantage of the convenient Ask the Expert feature.
MTEL Foundations of Reading (90) Exam Information
The MTEL Foundations of Reading test is used by the state of Massachusetts as a tool for early childhood, elementary and moderate disabilities teacher licensure.
- Number of Questions: 102
- Question Types: Multiple-choice and open-response
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $139
MTEL Foundations of Reading (90) Exam Breakdown
In addition to the subareas listed below, the final 20% of the exam will feature two constructed-response questions that test your ability to analyze some of the topics found throughout the test.
|MTEL Foundations of Reading Exam Concept||Percent of the MTEL Foundations of Reading Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Reading Development||35%||43-45||51|
|Development of Reading Comprehension||27%||33-35||91|
|Reading Assessment and Instruction||18%||21-23||47|
Preparing & Registering for the MTEL Foundations of Reading (90) test
Finding course materials and tracking your progress as you go is a snap with our user-friendly interface. Our brief video-based lessons are designed to be an engaging and comprehensive look at the material. Each lesson also comes with a written transcript that has key vocabulary terms highlighted for your convenience, and our instructors are available to answer your questions as you study.
You can register for the MTEL Foundations of Reading test any time of the year right from the MTEL website. There you will find a current list of fees, payment policies, and the location of testing centers near you.
MTEL is a registered trademark of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s), which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- How to Become a Reading Teacher in Massachusetts
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- How to Study for AP Tests
- Reading Comprehension | A Guide for Teaching Reading
- Guide to Online High School in Massachusetts
- What Types of Jobs Do Not Require Reading?
- MTEL Test Preparation & Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses