- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 312
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
This course can be found in: MTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTEL study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis course covers all the material that could appear on the MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) certification exam. Prepare for teacher licensure in Massachusetts by reviewing this collection of engaging lessons, practice assessments, transcripts and more.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
35 chapters in MTEL Mathematics (Middle School)(47): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTEL Courses
About This Course
Check out this comprehensive online study guide course to get fully prepared for the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) Mathematics (Middle School) exam. Our instructors will guide you through a host of relevant mathematical concepts, techniques and topics, including the properties of numbers, the principles of algebra, trigonometric functions, probability and statistics. Our video-based lessons are an entertaining way to review for the test, and they include supplemental studying tools to make your studying process efficient and effective. Take the practice quizzes to strengthen your math skills, and reach out to our experts if you have any questions. The course is available 24/7, which enables you to study at any time that fits your schedule.
Check out our MTEL test prep materials! We've got MTEL courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTEL study guides to help you study, MTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is closely aligned with the concepts you'll likely encounter on your MTEL exam. Work through each chapter to strengthen your math skills in several domains, including number sense, operations, algebra, geometry, statistics and discrete mathematics. Upon completion of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of number structure, absolute value, equality and math operations
- Differentiate between fractions, decimals, percents, ratios and real numbers
- Solve problems involving roots, functions, linear equations, polynomials, quadratic equations, matrices and vectors
- Recognize patterns
- Evaluate geometric history and geometric theorems
- Discuss the principles of geometry and pre-calculus geometry
- Find the area and volume of geometric figures
- Solve trigonometric equations
- Interpret graphs
- Analyze data and probability
As you use this course to prepare for the MTEL exam, you'll review a collection of 309 lessons that are divided into 40 chapters. You'll be able to work through the course at your own pace using any Internet-connected device. When you finish a lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand the material. You can also submit questions to our experts if you need any extra help.
MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) (47) Exam Information
The MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) test is used by the state of Massachusetts to test prospective middle school math teachers on their mastery of the subject matter.
- Number of Questions: 102
- Question Types: Multiple-choice and open-response
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $139
MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) (47) Exam Breakdown
In addition to the subareas listed below, the final 20% of the exam will feature two open-response questions that test your ability to analyze some of the topics found throughout the test.
|MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) Exam Concept||Percent of the MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Number sense and operations||15%||18-20||118|
|Patterns, relations and algebra||25%||30-32||68|
|Geometry and measurement||18%||21-23||41|
|Data analysis, statistics and probability||12%||14-16||47|
|Trigonometry, calculus and discrete mathematics||10%||12-14||35|
Preparing & Registering for the MTEL Mathematics (Middle School) (47) Exam
Our experienced instructors have created lessons that are brief, engaging and designed to enhance your comprehension and retention of the information presented. You can use the written lesson transcripts to reinforce the content of the accompanying videos, and use the highlighted vocabulary terms as a springboard for more in-depth study. Lesson quizzes and practice exams are invaluable for making sure you are ready for tackling the real test.
The exam is available all year long by appointment at testing centers that are scattered around the country. To register for the exam and view a complete schedule of fees and payment policies, visit the MTEL website.
MTEL is a registered trademark of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s), which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Massachusetts
- High School Teacher Certification Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Teacher Certification College and School Options
- Art Teacher Certification in Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Music Teacher Certification
- Dance Teacher Certification in Massachusetts
- Alternative Teacher Certification in Massachusetts
- Becoming an Elementary School Teacher in Massachusetts
- Tennessee Teacher Certification: Licensure & Requirements
- Becoming a Teacher in Massachusetts
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses