- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 276
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Defining Common Social Studies Vocabulary
This course can be found in: MTEL Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTEL study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you need a mobile-friendly resource you can use to prepare for the MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) exam, look no further than this engaging test prep course. Our chapters and lessons cover the topics you'll need to know to get a passing score on test day. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
30 chapters in MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTEL Courses
About This Course
Our informative study guide course contains short lessons grouped by subject to help you get ready for the MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) exam. All of the topics covered on the exam are covered, from world history to basic geography and the election process. In addition, we've also included a short quiz with each lesson that helps you assess your knowledge and identify any areas that need further study.
Check out our MTEL test prep materials! We've got MTEL courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTEL study guides to help you study, MTEL practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTEL resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Work at your own pace as you study lessons aligned with all of the content you can expect to find on the exam. These include U.S. history, human geography, political science and government. After you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline key events in Minnesota history
- Discuss references and research in political science
- Explain literacy strategies across content areas
- Describe landmark U.S. Supreme Court cases
- Identify the fundamentals of the federal judicial system
- Discuss the election process
- Provide an overview of economic and fiscal policy
- Share major concepts in microeconomics and macroeconomics
- Identify geographical landforms and the environment
- Outline basic social studies skills
- Detail literacy strategies across content areas
The course includes 29 chapters made up of 249 concise lessons to assist you in your test preparation. The lesson quizzes and chapter tests also help to guide your studies along the way.
MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Information
The MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) exam is used in the state of Minnesota to test the skills and knowledge of prospective teachers for certification in this subject area. This test is made up of two subtests and is computer-based.
- Number of Questions: 100 (50 per subtest)
- Question Type: Multiple-choice questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours (1 hour per subtest)
- Exam Cost: $95 ($47.50 per subtest)
MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Breakdown
|MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Subtest 1 Concept||Percent of the MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Subtest I||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Social Studies Skills||18%||9 questions||19|
|World History||55%||28 questions||51|
|MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Subtest 2 Concept||Percent of the MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Exam Subtest 2||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|U.S. and Minnesota History||55%||28 questions||67|
|Government and Citizenship||27%||13 questions||62|
MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) Preparation & Registration
When you work through this mobile-friendly course, you'll study world history, politics, government, geography and all of the other subjects you'll need to know to do well on the exam. The lesson quizzes and chapter tests provide an especially handy resource in your test preparation efforts.
Registration for the MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) exam takes place online and is done on a first-come, first-served basis. Testing is offered year-round for this licensure exam. You can take both subtests at the same time or register for a separate testing session for each one.
MTEL Middle Level Social Studies (Grades 5-8) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- MTEL Test Preparation & Resources
- Test Prep
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Study.com Updates
- Courses Needed to Be a Registered Nurse
- 5 Elective Courses Colleges Really Need
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses