- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 302
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Context Clue: Definition & Examples
This course can be found in: MTLE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ MTLE study guides, and 3,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe MTLE Basic Skills exam was discontinued in 2016 and replaced with the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills exam. Prepare for the exam with the help of the lessons in this fun practice course. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTLE Courses
About This Course
Polish up your reading, writing and basic math skills as you work through the chapters contained in this study guide course. Everything you need to get ready for the NES Essential Academic Skills exam is here for you in an easy-to-use, well-designed and presented, and fully portable format. In this comprehensive refresher course, you can review figurative language, analysis of written material, percentages, exponents and more. We've ensured you can study on your own time and at your own pace by making this course accessible on any mobile device or computer.
Check out our NES test prep materials! We've got NES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NES study guides to help you study, NES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
In this test prep course, you'll find all the subjects you'll need to know to do well on the NES Essential Academic Skills exam. Self-paced lessons cover word choice in literature, writing for intent and how to solve math problems. Once you complete this course, you should be able to:
- Use methods to increase your vocabulary
- Identify the main idea in literature
- Detail the relationships between ideas in writing
- Summarize and interpret information
- Use correct spelling and punctuation
- Present ideas clearly in writing
- Solve operations with integers
- Discuss equations, factoring and functions
- Differentiate between nonlinear and linear functions
- Define units, measurement and operations
- Solve measurement problems
- Outline the principles of geometry
- Explain statistics and discrete mathematics
- Understand problem-solving strategies
This course is made up of 267 concise lessons grouped by subject into 35 chapters. Along with each lesson and chapter, a self-assessment quiz or test helps you to check your knowledge ahead of test day.
NES Essential Academic Skills Exam Information
The NES Essential Academic Skills exam is computer-based exam used for teacher certification in the state of Minnesota.
- Number of Questions: 127
- Question Type: 45 multiple-choice questions for reading; 36 multiple-choice questions and 1 written assignment for writing; 45 multiple-choice questions for math)
- Time Limit: 4 hours (1 hour and 15 minutes for reading and math; 1 hour and 30 minutes for writing)
- Exam Cost: $100
MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide Preparation & Registration
The lessons in this study guide are designed to align with the material on the exam. By the time you have completed the lessons, quizzes and chapter tests contained in this course, you will have covered all the material on the exam. Practice problems in the mathematics chapters provide useful experience, and the lessons on essay structure and organization, thesis sentence development and paragraph transitions will be profoundly useful when you approach the writing assignments.
You can register for the MTLE Basic Skills exam online. When you report for the exam, you will need to have a government-issued form of identification with you. Your registration will remain active for a 12-month period, during which you must schedule your appointment and complete the exam, or you must re-register, and any fees paid will not be refunded.
Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLE) and Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills are registered trademarks of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Compass Exams
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Study.com Updates
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Measured Progress Exams
- Online Communication Skills Course Information
- Typing Practice, Skill Development and Training Lessons
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses