- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 259
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Principles of Growth and Development
This course can be found in: MTTC Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ MTTC study guides, and 7,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this comprehensive study guide if you are preparing for the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Early Childhood Education exam. This course covers learning, teaching and academic assessment concepts you will encounter on this certification exam to help you earn a passing score on test day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
26 chapters in MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTTC Courses
About This Course
Use this MTTC Early Childhood Education study guide to review topics covered in your teacher education program and prepare for test questions included in each of the exam's four content domains. These include literacy development, assessment strategies for early childhood and developmental learning theories. The lessons and quizzes included here are accessible to you 24 hours a day from any mobile device or computer.
Check out our MTTC test prep materials! We've got MTTC courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTTC study guides to help you study, MTTC practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational MTTC resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
These professionally written lessons align with all the subject areas you'll need to know to earn a passing score on the MTTC Early Childhood Education exam. Video lessons and quizzes cover topics including concepts of Earth and space, using the arts to teach and some of the factors that affect development. Once you finish this course, you should be able to:
- Outline early childhood development principles
- Discuss learning development
- Detail communication and language development
- Describe techniques for literacy and writing instruction
- Identify positive learning environments
- Give effective assessment strategies
- Explain professional responsibilities and collaborative relationships
- Outline math foundations
- Define science principles
- Differentiate between cultural and physical geography
- Discuss American history
- Provide an explanation of civics and economics
- Detail arts instruction
- Describe child health, safety and nutrition
- Identify concepts in physical education
In 25 chapters containing a total of 240 bite-sized lessons, this course acts as a comprehensive resource you can use any time prepare for the MTTC Early Childhood Education exam. To assess yourself before test day, take the lesson quizzes and chapter tests at your convenience.
MTTC Early Childhood Education (106) Exam Information
The MTTC Early Childhood Education exam is designed to test the teaching capabilities and subject-area knowledge of Michigan's prospective early childhood education teachers.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice questions
- Time Limit: Two hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $130
Preparing & Registering for the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106) Exam
This study guide's content is aligned with learning objectives addressed by the MTTC Early Childhood Education exam. Peruse video lessons on topics ranging from early childhood development and classroom management to physical science terms and arts instruction. By the time you've finished watching the short videos and taking the multiple-choice lesson and chapter quizzes, you'll have reviewed all of the areas covered on your teacher certification exam.
You can register for the exam by creating an account on the MTTC website. You'll be asked to enter your personal information and answer a few brief background questions, at which point you can schedule a testing appointment and pay for your test. You should register at least four days ahead of your desired test date.
Scoring the MTTC Early Childhood Education Exam
The minimum passing score for this MTTC exam is 220 points. You'll find out how well you did six weeks after your test date.
Child Development and Learning
Approximate percentage of test score: 25%
Exam topics covered: Domains of child growth and development, influences on learning and development, symptoms of developmental delays and disabilities, signs of abuse and neglect, positive learning environments, instructional activities and materials, classroom management, Michigan curriculum standards, assessment selection and implementation, methods for advancing students' social development
What you'll study: Review developmental theory and the impacts of such factors as parenting styles, disabilities and neglect on child growth and development. Lessons also cover assessment techniques, adaptive instructional strategies and methods for creating positive learning environments.
Communication, Language and Literacy Development
Approximate percentage of test score: 19%
Exam topics covered: Language and vocabulary development, instructional strategies for encouraging communication, phonological and phonemic awareness, literacy and writing development, tools for promoting writing skills, literacy experiences, indicators of communication and reading difficulties
What you'll study: Take another look at the stages of language development and re-examine strategies for teaching reading comprehension and promoting literacy. You can also review methods for fostering children's writing abilities.
Learning in the Content Areas
Approximate percentage of test score: 37%
Exam topics covered: Math problem-solving skills; science and social science concepts; tools and instructional experiences for math, science, social studies and arts education; the use of instructional technologies; children's motor development; health promotion and nutrition; physical education activities
What you'll study: These lessons can also help you review the fundamental concepts needed to provide instruction in the areas of math, Earth and space science, physical science, life science, geography, history, civics, economics, the arts and physical education.
Approximate percentage of test score: 19%
Exam topics covered: Parent-teacher relationships, family systems, professional collaboration strategies, early childhood program promotion, educators' roles and responsibilities, child care law and ethics, professional development resources
What you'll study: View lessons on the responsibilities of early childhood education teachers. You'll also find short videos outlining strategies for building healthy relationships with parents, your fellow education professionals, school staff and community members.
MTTC is a registered trademark of the Michigan Department of Education and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Getting Teacher Certification in Michigan
- My Journey From Early Childhood Education Certificate to Preschool Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher Certification in Maryland
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- How to Become a Teacher in Connecticut: Certification Exam & Requirements
- Early Childhood Education Certification and Certificate Programs
- Early Childhood Education Certification in Louisiana
- Preparing Your Teacher Certificate for Teaching Overseas
- CNA Certification Test: A Detailed Look at the CNA Exam
- Early Childhood Education Certificate & Certification | Requirements for Early Childhood Education Certification
- Forensic Nurse Job Outlook for Forensic Nursing
- Production Manager Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in Production Management
- Clinical Sociologist Job Description Duties and Outlook
- Physical Therapy Degrees in Nashville
- Financial Management Analyst Job Description and Education Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses