- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 184
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Prenatal Development & Psychology: Stages & Abnormal Development
This course can be found in: MTTC Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ MTTC study guides, and 7,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIncrease your understanding of speech and communication impairments, development stages and intervention strategies with the use of this comprehensive study guide. This course covers all of the topics addressed on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Speech & Language Impairment exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
23 chapters in MTTC Speech & Language Impairment (057): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related MTTC Courses
About This Course
From an overview of developmental stages to types of language and speech disorders, this study guide is an effective and detailed resource you can use to review the communication disorders and teaching/intervention strategies you'll need to know for the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment exam. You'll gain a deeper understanding of hearing and speech structures, physical reasons for these impairments and ways in which teachers can use planning methods and assistive technology tools to address the needs of students. Short and easily accessible video and text lessons cover all the topics addressed on this MTTC exam, and you can review these lesson as often as needed. Test yourself with self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to ensure you have a full understanding of this material.
Check out our MTTC Preparation resources! We've got MTTC courses to teach you the material, comprehensive MTTC study guides to help you study, MTTC practice tests to test your knowledge, and MTTC informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The lessons in this chapter are designed to correspond to the material addressed on the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment exam. You'll find information about communication development theories, phonetics, types of speech and language impairments, and teaching and intervention strategies for students with speech and hearing disabilities. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Detail various stages of childhood development, from prenatal to adolescence
- Identify atypical development and delays in children
- Note linguistic features of English
- Outline the speech mechanism and the ear and its functions
- Name neurological, neuromuscular and structural impairments
- Provide details about hearing impairments
- Describe how to assess students' hearing
- Use teaching and assessment methods for special education students
- Describe assistive technology used in special education classrooms
- Discuss research on communication disorders
This course is made up of 22 individual chapters broken down into 169 video and text lessons. With lessons being accessible 24/7 from any device, you can create a flexible study schedule that works best for you.
MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Exam Information
The MTTC Speech & Language Impairment exam is part of the requirements to obtain the needed certification for teaching hearing- and language-impaired students.
- Number of Questions: 100
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $130
MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Exam Breakdown
|MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Exam Concept||Percent of the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Human Development and Students With Special Educational Needs||16%||16 questions||40|
|Speech, Language and Hearing Impairments||28%||28 questions||58|
|Program Development and Intervention||20%||20 questions||16|
|Professional Knowledge and Legal Issues||16%||16 questions||39|
MTTC Speech & Language Impairment Exam Preparation & Registration
This guide offers a quick and self-paced way to prepare for the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment exam. You'll review terminology and concepts relevant to speech and communication disorders, voice disorders, language-based learning disabilities and language disorders, neurological and structural disorders, auditory disorders and hearing loss. Lessons address ways in which students with these types of disorders are assessed and what strategies are used for intervention and teaching purposes. Overviews of human development through adolescence, developmental abnormalities and delays, linguistics and phonetics, speech and hearing structures and communication disorder research are also included. Lessons are presented through video and text formats and can be accessed from any device 24/7. Find out if you're ready for the MTTC Speech & Language Impairment exam by taking short lesson quizzes and chapter exams as you progress through this course.
Register for this MTTC exam by creating an account on the MTTC website. Access the registration portal by clicking on the 'Register Now' button and submitting required information and exam fees. Once your registration is processed, you will receive a confirmation email. At this time, you can go online to schedule your test date and site.
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Certification for English Language Teachers in Michigan
- Speech & Language Pathology Graduate Programs in Michigan
- Getting Teacher Certification in Michigan
- How to Become a Speech Teacher in Tennessee
- Which Schools Have a Speech & Language Communication Doctoral Program?
- How to Get Teacher Certification Online in Michigan
- Preschool Teacher Certification in Michigan
- Speech Classes and Courses Overview
- Teaching Special Education - Speech Impairments
- Speech Pathology Certification and Certificate Programs
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses