- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 239
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
Course SummaryThis helpful test preparation course goes over the concepts that you'll encounter on the National Board Certification Exam- Social Studies & History test. To get ready for the test, simply work through the course's engaging lessons, mini quizzes and final assessment.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
23 chapters in National Board Certification Exam - Social Studies & History/Adolescence & Young Adulthood: Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
When teaching social studies to adolescents and young adults, there are specific strategies that should be used and specific content that should be taught. When you work through the chapters in this study guide, you will be prepared to take the National Board Certification Exam- Social Studies and History exam for adolescents and young adults. Prepare for the exam by studying the following topics in this study guide:
- Critical thinking
- Effective teaching methods
- Student diversity
- Positive learning environments
- Professional development for teachers
- World and United States history
- American economics and civics
About the Exam
The National Board Certification Exam- Social Studies and History exam for adolescents and young adults is for teachers who want to go above state standards by seeking a national board certification. This certification is broken down into four components. There is a written assessment of content knowledge, reflection on student work examples, video and analysis of teaching practice and documented accomplishments as a teaching professional. Component 1 requires 40 out of 45 responses to be correct while components 2, 3, and 4 are portfolio components using a 12-point scale. After submitting all four of these components and having it analyzed and assessed, teachers can then obtain this specific national certification.
National Board Certification Exam- Social Studies and History/Adolescence & Young Adulthood Preparation & Registration
Our study guide includes video lessons that are taught by experienced instructors. View them to find out what will be covered on the exam and then take the multiple-choice quizzes as often as you need to in order to reinforce your comprehension of the topics. Additional resources that can be located in the study guide include transcripts and links to text lessons detailing important terminology.
In order to qualify for this exam, a teacher much hold a Bachelors from an accredited university, have a minimum of three years of teaching experience and hold a state teaching license if the state requires one. Teachers will have to demonstrate their knowledge of social studies by answering the open-ended questions at a secure testing site and also submit the portfolio section. Teachers must demonstrate the five core propositions necessary for National Board Certification. For the first component, candidates must pay an application fee and then schedule a testing appointment on the website during the appropriate testing window. After a person has successfully obtained their certification, they must renew it. The renewal process takes about 30-40 hours.
The National Board Certification Exam is a registered trademark of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- GED Books and Study Materials for Test Preparation
- CPCE Test Preparation & Resources
- CGAP Test Preparation & Resources
- CNE Test Preparation & Resources
- CCXP Test Preparation & Resources
- CMA Test Preparation & Resources
- AFOQT Test Preparation & Resources
- ACT Test Preparation & Resources
- EPPP Test Preparation & Resources
- CNS Test Preparation & Resources
- Operations Management Top School Offering Courses and Training in Operations Management - San Diego CA
- Advertising Degrees Top Ranked School For a Degree in Advertising Art and Design - Chicago Illinois
- Top Ranked University with a Masters in Accounting Degree - Milwaukee WI
- Community Colleges and School Districts Honored for Digital Technology Performance
- Medical College Oklahoma
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses