- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 174
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
Course SummaryThis extensive study guide from Study.com provides you with the opportunity to review details about general and specific medical conditions as well as occupational therapy treatment plans, practices and responsibilities. This course is created by Study.com and not affiliated with the organization that awards the occupational therapy certification. The topics covered in this course are the same as you would be tested on when taking the occupational therapy certification exam, and the lessons offer good preparation for taking the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The COTA® exam is a registered trademark of the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT®) and is administered by Prometric, Inc., neither of which are affiliated with Study.com.
Using this course, you can review what you might already know or learn new information about occupational therapy client care, evaluations, technologies and more. You will also develop a deeper understanding of medical conditions and how they might be treated using OT processes and techniques. Short lessons typically take less than 10 minutes to review and are accessible at all times so you can study at your own pace. Topics addressed in this study guide include:
- Various stages of human development, from prenatal and newborn to adolescence and adult
- Types of developmental disorders and conditions
- General medical conditions, such as heart failure, diabetes and hearing impairments
- Details about types, causes, symptoms and treatments of neurological and musculoskeletal conditions
- Evaluation processes and reference models in occupational therapy
- Occupational therapy intervention and treatment planning and implementation practices
- Group therapy options in occupational therapy
- Assistive devices and technologies used in occupational therapy
- Feeding and eating skills used by occupational therapists
- Accessibility considerations and legislation for those with handicapped conditions
- Ethical and safety issues related to occupational therapy
About the Exam
The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (NBCOT® COTA®) exam is a national certification exam used to certify occupational therapy assistants throughout the U.S. as well as Guam and Puerto Rico. It is a computer-based exam consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions. Candidates are allotted four hours to complete this exam. Scoring is on a scale of 300 to 600; a score of at least 450 must be attained to pass the NBCOT® COTA® exam.
NBCOT® COTA®; Exam Preparation & Registration
Review all of the major topics you will encounter on the NBCOT® COTA® exam using this comprehensive study guide. Explore detailed information about prenatal and infant stages of development; physical, cognitive and social development in children, adolescents and adults; abnormal human development factors and conditions; general medical conditions in addition to neurological and musculoskeletal disorders such as Parkinson's, dementia and spinal-related conditions; and occupational therapy laws and regulations. You will also go over occupational therapy processes and procedures in screening, evaluating, treating and advocating for OT clients. Details addressed in OT practices include client positioning, vocational rehabilitation strategies, range of motion tests, group therapies, prosthetic and orthotic devices, assistive technology and feeding methods. Lessons use engaging videos and expert instruction to make reviewing this material simple and accessible. Brief self-assessment quizzes are great tools you can use in determining your readiness for the NBCOT® COTA® exam.
Registration for NBCOT® exam can be accomplished by creating an account on the NBCOT® website and completing the online application and paying exam fees. Once the application has been reviewed and accepted, you will be sent an Authorization to Test letter or email that allows you to schedule a test date and location at a Prometric Test Center via the Prometric website.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become an Occupational Therapy Professional
- What Can You Do With a Master's in Occupational Therapy?
- Online Occupational Therapy Assistant Certification Info
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Certificate Program Overviews
- Online Courses and Classes in Occupational Therapy Assisting
- Occupational Therapy Courses in Montana with Program Summaries
- Detroit Occupational Therapy Universities with Course Descriptions
- Reno Occupational Therapy Universities with Course Descriptions
- Occupational Therapy Schools in Wyoming with Course Descriptions
- Occupational Therapy College in Cincinnati with Course Info
- Chartered Market Technician Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Chartered Market Technician
- Colleges for Aspiring Fish and Game Wardens How to Choose
- Production Manager Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in Production Management
- Masters in Interior Architecture Programs
- Graduate School Finder
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses