- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 255
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
This course can be found in: NES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ NES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you're an aspiring teacher who plans on taking the NES Health exam, use this mobile-friendly and convenient study guide to get prepared. The course offers short lessons and practice quizzes to help you review the information you'll need to know.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NES Courses
About This Course
Use our test prep course to get ready to take the NES Health exam and get a great score. This comprehensive study resource includes engaging video and text-based lessons, as well as lesson quizzes and chapter exams, that spotlight the information that you'll encounter on the teacher certification exam. Featured topics include drug use and abuse, family systems and healthy behavior, understanding health information, and physical fitness and nutrition.
Check out our NES test prep materials! We've got NES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NES study guides to help you study, NES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
This NES Health certification prep course is designed to get you fully prepared for the National Evaluation Series (NES) Health exam. It goes over essential health topics, such as childhood growth and development, the role of protein in nutrition and the symptoms of mineral deficiency and toxicity. After finishing this course, you should be ready to:
- Explain the fundamentals of health and wellness
- Detail human growth and development in children, adolescents and adults
- Outline nutrition and diet planning
- Identify the roles of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, water, minerals and vitamins in health and nutrition
- Discuss diseases and immunity
- Describe drug use and substance abuse disorders
- Define mental and emotional health management
- Outline family, interpersonal relationships and conflict resolution
- Discuss sexual health, reproduction, contraception and family planning
- Explain personal, public, social and environmental health
- Understand health information and its presentation in the media
- Describe physical fitness, nutrition and weight management
- Detail biomechanics, kinesiology, motor skills and body movements
- Explain sports rules and techniques for softball, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball and gymnastic activities
In 362 lessons and 44 chapters, our professional instructors lay out these concepts. Take the multiple-choice quizzes and chapter tests to ensure you're ready to sit for the exam and that you understand everything.
NES Health Exam Information
The NES Health exam is a teacher certification exam for aspiring entry-level health teachers. The exam is administered via computer at approved NES testing centers around the country.
- Number of Questions: 150
- Question Type: multiple-choice questions
- Time Limit: 3 hours
- Exam Cost: $95
NES Health Exam Breakdown
|NES Health Concept||Percent of the NES Health Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Health Throughout the Life Span||30%||21 questions||51|
|Health Promotion & Risk Reduction||40%||42 questions||189|
|Health Advocacy & Literacy||30%||33 questions||122|
NES Health Exam Preparation and Registration
This course allows you to study at your own pace prior to taking the exam. You can work through the course in sequence to review the topics that could appear on the test, or you can spend your time focusing on specific chapters that address those areas in which you may have fallen behind. Each lesson breaks down the most important definitions and concepts and explains their health applications in a memorable way. The interactive practice quizzes are designed to help you reinforce what you review in each lesson, and our word-for-word transcripts can be printed for offline study.
The NES Health test is offered on a first-come, first-served basis throughout the year. Test-takers can check for availability, as well as nearby testing centers and alternative testing arrangements, on the National Evaluation Series website. You'll be able to see your scaled test score immediately after finishing the exam, and a comprehensive score report will be provided two weeks after the test date.
National Evaluation Series (NES) Program is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Lesson Plans for Teachers
- Courses for Aspiring Dermatologists: Information and Overview
- Degrees for Aspiring Bankers with Course Information
- How Tech Can Help Teachers Create Engaging Lesson Plans
- What You Need to Know About Teacher Certification Reciprocity
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Social Studies Lesson Plans
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses