- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 194
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Nurse Aide: Definition & Duties
Course SummaryAs an aspiring nurse aide in the state of New York, you must be able to demonstrate your full understanding of nurse aide duties, practices and concepts for licensure purposes. This extensive study guide reviews the material you'll need to know when taking the New York Prometric CNA test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
What do nurse aides do? How do they administer personal and emergency care? In what ways do they assess patients? These are just some of the questions that will be answered when you refer to this comprehensive study guide to prepare for the New York Prometric CNA test. After you have completed your review of this course, you should have developed a better understanding of the following:
- Nurse aide roles, principles and ethics
- The nurse-patient relationship and communication practices
- Basic safety and hygiene for nurses
- Treatment of injuries and illnesses
- Infection care and prevention
- Emergency situations and care procedures
- Personal care skills for nursing
- Skin, circulatory and elimination issues
- Basic nutrition concepts the importance of sleep and rest
- Physical assessment methods and use of assistive devices
- Types of pain and pain management techniques
- Mental and psychosocial health
- Changes in the aging process and care of end-of-life patients
About the Exam
The New York Prometric CNA exam consists of two parts: a written or oral exam and a skills assessment exam. The written portion contains 60 multiple-choice questions and lasts 90 minutes. If you are taking the oral exam, you will receive the same 60 questions via a headset. You will also need to answer 16 additional reading comprehension questions, for which you will be granted an additional 30 minutes. During the skills exam, you must successfully demonstrate five nursing skills. The time allotted for the skills exam is based on the skills you perform and is generally between 31 and 40 minutes. Results of the skills exam can be found online within 48 hours of completion. If you have passed the clinical skills and written/oral exams, you will receive a certification card in the mail within 10 business days following the exam.
New York Prometric CNA Exam Preparation & Registration
You will find all of the topics you need to know for the New York Prometric CNA exam reviewed in this study guide. Video and text lessons define nurse aide roles, explain nursing communication methods for patient education and discharge and detail nursing safety and hygiene. You can learn details about the human circulatory system, bowel issues and fluid balances and imbalances in the body. Other information covered includes physical assessment of vital signs and pain. Easy accessibility of these lessons from any device provide a convenient and quick way you can study at your own pace. Take lesson quizzes and chapter exams to measure your knowledge and readiness in taking the CNA exam.
To register for the New York Prometric CNA exam, you must first complete a fingerprint background check. Once you have completed this step, send your application and fees to Prometric. After your application has been processed, you will receive an admission letter via email stating your test date and location.
The New York CNA test is administered by Prometric, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Home Health Aide Training in New York with School Information
- Nurse Practitioner Schools in New York with Program Overviews
- Certified Nurses Aide: Nurses Aide Certification Program Overviews
- Certified Nurses Aide Course Descriptions
- Nurses Aide Training Programs and Requirements
- Certified Nurses Aide Training Programs
- How to Become a Teacher Aide in New Jersey
- All About the GED: New York
- New York University Video Review
- Nurse Aide Training in Michigan with Program Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses