- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 173
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
This course can be found in: NMTA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NMTA study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe National Evaluation Series (NES) Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Elementary exam has replaced the New Mexico Teacher Assessment (NMTA) for aspiring elementary educators. Prepare for the test with our comprehensive study guide course, featuring fun video lessons and practice quizzes, so you can earn your best score on exam day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
20 chapters in NMTA Elementary - Assessment of Professional Knowledge (051): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NMTA Courses
About this NES - Elementary Assessment of Professional Knowledge Practice and Study Guide Course
The New Mexico Teacher Assessment exam has been discontinued and replaced with the National Evaluation Series (NES) exam. This study guide is up-to-date and designed to prepare you for the current version of the NES Elementary exam. This exam is required for individuals who wish to become entry-level certified elementary school teachers in New Mexico and Arizona. This course will prepare exam-takers with a thorough review of a range of areas tested by the exam, including curriculum planning, cognitive development, developmental challenges, and communication and collaboration between teachers.
Check out our NES test prep materials! We've got NES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NES study guides to help you study, NES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course is designed to prepare you for the NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Elementary exam, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the National Evaluation Series. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Student Development and Learning
- Delineate several major theories of development, including those of Piaget, Erikson, and Bronfenbrenner
- Recognize how infants develop perceptually
- Explain the process of linguistic development
- Describe how different types of development are interrelated
- Demonstrate knowledge of cognitive development
- Identify variations in development, including learning disabilities, speech sound errors, and ADHD
Assessment, Instruction, and the Learning Environment
- Describe the process of validity in assessment
- Recognize causes of testing bias
- Explain the process of high-stakes testing
- Identify items used in curriculum planning, such as guides, maps, and lesson plans
- Apply classroom management techniques
The Professional Environment
- Demonstrate knowledge of building relationships with families
- Describe methods of collaboration with other faculty members and specialists
The preparation course for the Elementary Assessment of Professional Knowledge exam is broken down into 19 chapters, with 158 short lessons. Practice quizzes at the end of each lesson can help you feel confident that you're on-track with the exam content. Flashcard sets also provide you additional practice opportunities.
NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge - Elementary Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 100 Multiple Choice Questions and two written assignments
- Question Type: Primarily multiple choice, with a case study written assignment and work product written assignment.
- Time Limit: 3 Hours
- Exam Cost: $95.00
NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge Exam Breakdown
|Exam Concept||Percentage of Test Score||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Student Development and Learning||24%||31|
|Assessment, Instruction, and the Learning Environment||40%||46|
|Case Study||10%||One written assignment|
|The Professional Environment||16%||23|
|Work Product||10%||One written assignment|
Registering and Preparing for the NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge - Elementary Exam
The exam is administered at computerized testing centers year-round. Students can register for this exam directly through NES's registration page, choosing an available slot at a local test center.
Those who have prepared for the exam on study.com will be well-prepared to sit for this test. The engaging, memorable videos help you remember what you'll need to know. For more information on registering and preparing for any of the NES exams you'll need to take to obtain your teacher certification, check out our NES Preparation Resources
Students will receive a scaled score from the test center immediately upon completing their computerized test. Approximately two weeks after that, they will have access to a score report. You can learn more about how the NES exam is scored here.
The NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge - Elementary is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which I not affiliated with Study.com
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Become an Elementary School Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- How to Become an Elementary Teacher in New Jersey
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How to Become an Elementary Gym Teacher: Career Guide
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Indiana Core Assessments for Educators
- Elementary School Teacher Video: Educational Requirements
- How to Become an Elementary School Teacher
- How to Become an Elementary Teacher in Texas
- How to Become a Elementary Teacher in Oregon
- Pediatric Radiology Technologist Job Description and Education Requirements
- Sewing Classes Houston
- Career Information for a Degree in Communications Technologies
- Hospital Administrator Learn How to Start a Career in Hospital Administration and Hospital Management
- Wholesale Buyer Educational Requirements for a Career in Buying
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses