- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 234
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Making the Decision to Have Children
This course can be found in: NMTA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NMTA study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe National Evaluation Series (NES) Family and Consumer Sciences teacher certification assessment has replaced the NMTA Family and Consumer Sciences exam. Complete this online test preparation course to get ready for the exam and study the concepts you'll need to know for your upcoming test day.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
26 chapters in NMTA Family & Consumer Sciences (310): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NMTA Courses
About This Course
This course offers you a simple and effective way to study information that appears on the NES Family and Consumer Sciences exam, which is now a requirement for prospective family and consumer science teachers in New Mexico. Inside the course, you'll find engaging lessons that cover the fundamentals of nutrition, human development, family relationships, food safety, consumer rights and much more. The course's online format makes it easy to study whenever you have free time, and the accompanying self-assessments help you reinforce your understanding of the material.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Check out our NES test prep materials! We've got NES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NES study guides to help you study, NES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
To ensure you study the information that matters most, we've aligned this course specifically with the NES Family and Consumer Sciences exam content. Complete the lessons to improve your knowledge of parenting, crisis management, food safety and other concepts that you'll find on the test. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Prepare for parenthood and consider the components of prenatal care and childbirth
- Describe the development of fetuses, infants, toddlers, preschoolers, school-aged children and adolescents
- Recognize human relationship characteristics and communication methods
- Outline common family transitions and changes
- Compare parenting styles
- Manage resources as a consumer
- Identify personal insurance options
- Understand the rights of consumers
- Discuss nutrient functions and nutritional needs
- Prepare and store food safely
- Evaluate strategies for personal and family wellness
- Name educational and career paths in the family and consumer sciences
- Use fundamental career skills
In this course, you'll study a total of 180 lessons that are divided into 22 chapters. Watch or read through a lesson, and follow up with the accompanying lesson quizzes. These quizzes and the comprehensive chapter exams help you see how well you grasp important family and consumer science topics.
NES Family and Consumer Sciences (310) Exam Information
Aligned with national learning standards for educator licensure, the NES Family and Consumer Science exam evaluates the professional knowledge and skills that family and consumer science teachers much demonstrate in order to teach in New Mexico.
- Number of Questions: 150
- Question Types: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 3 hours
- Exam Cost: $95
NES Family and Consumer Sciences (310) Exam Breakdown
|NES Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Concept||Percent of the NES Family and Consumer Sciences Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Human development and relationships||33%||49||109|
|Resource management and consumer skills||25%||38||22|
|Nutrition and foods||25%||38||32|
|Workplace skills and careers||17%||25||17|
NES Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Preparation & Registration
This course has been designed with simplicity and flexibility in mind. Work through the course in sequence for a comprehensive studying experience, or use the course dashboard to locate the chapter topics you want to spend the most time studying. Your dashboard will also keep track of your progress so you'll always know how much you have to study before your exam date. Take the final course assessment to determine your readiness for the NES exam, and feel free to use the Ask the Expert feature if you need any extra help.
The official New Mexico Teacher Assessments (NMTA) website allows you to register for this particular NES exam. As you go through the registration process, you'll select your desired test date and computer-based testing location. Registration also involves paying an exam fee and agreeing to NES testing policies and rules.
The National Evaluation Series (NES) exams are registered trademarks of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Family and Consumer Science Courses and Classes
- Online Degrees in Family and Consumer Science
- Family & Consumer Sciences PhD Programs
- Top Colleges for Family & Consumer Sciences Degrees
- Family and Consumer Science Degree Program Information
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Online Courses and Classes in Family Studies
- NMTA Test Preparation & Resources
- NES Test Preparation & Resources
- Family Studies Certification Programs with Course Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses