- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 142
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Music Notation: History & Theory
This course can be found in: NMTA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NMTA study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe New Mexico Teacher Assessments (NTMA) Music exam has been replaced by the National Evaluation Series (NES) Music teacher certification test. Work through this course at your own pace to study essential music concepts and get fully prepared for the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Musical Timbre of Instruments and Singers: Definition||Take Quiz|
Related NMTA Courses
About This Course
This course is designed to help you study all of the musical concepts that appear on the National Evaluation Series (NES) Music exam. Inside, you'll find short video lessons and interactive practice quizzes that cover the fundamentals of music history, genres, notation and much more. Topics you can expect to study include:
- Music notation
- Melody, meter and rhythm
- Forms of music
- Musical instruments
- Instrumental and vocal ensembles
- Orchestral music and operas
- Medieval and Renaissance music
- Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods
- Modern, jazz, world and popular music
- Musical theater
About the Exam
The NES Music exam is currently being used for teacher certification purposes in the state of New Mexico. The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions, and test takers have three hours to complete the test. The computer-delivered exam is offered at testing centers throughout New Mexico and the United States, and as of 2017, the National Benchmark passing score for the test is 224. Sections of the exam include Aural Analysis Skills (23%), Music Theory & Composition (23%), Music History & Culture (23%), and Music Methodology & Performance (31%).
NES Music Exam Preparation and Registration
This course is designed to simplify your test preparation experience. You can work through the course from start to finish, or you can navigate to specific chapters on your interactive course dashboard. Our lessons are taught in a simplified and engaging teaching style, which helps you quickly move through the course and take away important musical terms and concepts. The lessons also come with interactive self-assessments to help you check your understanding of the material and get comfortable answering the types of questions you'll be asked on the NES Music exam. If you have any questions, you'll be able to submit them to our instructors online. The course also includes a final assessment to help you see if you're ready to take the exam.
The official NES website offers an online registration process. Online registration for the NES Music exam requires selecting an upcoming test date, locating a nearby testing center, paying an exam fee, and agreeing to all NES testing rules/policies. You can expect to receive an exam score report a few weeks after your test date.
National Evaluation Series (NES) Program is a registered trademark of Pearson Education Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Texas Music Teacher Certification
- Massachusetts Music Teacher Certification
- Music Teacher Certification Maryland
- Music Teacher Certification in Indiana
- How to Become a Music Teacher in New York
- How to Become a Music Teacher in New Jersey
- How to Become a Music Teacher in Oregon
- How to Become a Music Teacher in Ohio
- How to Become a Music Teacher in California
- How to Become a Music Teacher in Connecticut
- Bachelor of Science BS Management and Leadership Degree Overview
- Where in Miami to Go to Get Certified As a CNA Nurse
- Bachelor of Professional Studies in Hospitality Management Casino and Gaming Degree Overview
- Associate of Pharmacy Technology Degree Overview
- Cancer Biology Programs Degree and Training Options
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses