- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Roles and Functions of the Nurse
Course SummaryUse this course to refresh your memory about the fundamentals of nursing. Our chapters can act as supplemental reading for your nursing textbook, help you prepare for an exam or catch you up on topics you missed in class.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About the Course
Decision maker, communicator and advocate are just a few of the roles played by nurses. Learn about these and other nursing duties through our Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course. This series of video lessons, which also addresses ways to handle stress and set goals for your nursing career, covers the same topics addressed in a college-level course.
Our instructors have experience in the nursing field. Through brief, engaging videos, they share their knowledge of legal aspects of nursing and factors that affect patients' health, among other topics. They have also developed self-assessment quizzes that can help you measure how well you've absorbed the information in each lesson. We have an Android Nursing mobile app and an iOS Nursing mobile app for you to study on the go.
|The Profession of Nursing||Learn about the roles of a nurse as he or she cares for a patient. Study how different factors affect health. Take a look at Maslow's hierarchy of needs as it applies to patient care. Find out about homeostasis and adaptation to stress. Explore the purpose and steps of the nursing process. Examine the importance of goal-setting in this profession. Discover record-keeping processes. Analyze communication in nursing. Learn about ethics and values in nursing.|
|Legal Aspects of Nursing||Study the Nurse Practice acts. Take a look at legal concepts and terms related to nursing. Find out about legal liability in nursing. Examine nursing-related crimes. Explore patient protection measures.|
Don't see the topics you need to learn? View our other nursing courses to find the material you're looking for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Nursing Refresher Courses and Classes Overview
- Radiology Nursing Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Practical Nursing Courses and Classes
- Online Nursing Home Administration Courses and Classes
- Forensic Nursing Course and Class Descriptions
- Critical Care Nursing Courses and Classes Information
- Online Pediatric Nursing Course and Class Overviews
- Certified Nursing Assistant Courses and Classes Overview
- Overview of Pediatric Nursing Courses
- Overview of Oncology Nursing Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses