- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 367
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
This course can be found in: NYSTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NYSTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThe NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245) exam is part of the licensure process to become a middle school teacher in New York. This course strengthens your understanding of topics covered in the exam through engaging lessons, multiple-choice quizzes, and a practice exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
39 chapters in NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NYSTCE Courses
About This Course
This course helps you prepare for the New York State Teacher Certification Examination Content Specialty Test (NYSTCE CST) Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245) exam by strengthening your knowledge of subjects that are typically taught in middle childhood grade levels. As you prepare for the tests with this course, you'll review key topics in language and literacy development, math, history, science, visual arts, and more. Our short video lessons and self-assessment quizzes are separated by topic and are easy to follow. You'll be learning from subject-matter experts who use an engaging and simplified instructional style, and we've included plenty of practice quizzes throughout the course to help you retain key concepts and gain confidence before you sit for your upcoming teacher certification exam.
Check out our NYSTCE test prep materials! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NYSTCE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The course closely follows the academic concepts you'll likely encounter on this NYSTCE exam. As you work through the course's lessons, you'll be refreshing your knowledge of important academic subjects and instructional methods. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Utilize literacy development and strategies for vocabulary instruction
- Analyze literary texts and devices
- Perform mathematical operations with real and rational numbers
- Interpret ratios and proportions
- Explain the foundations of algebra, functions and graphs
- Solve geometry problems and make geometric measurements
- Discuss the nature of scientific investigation, modeling and technology
- Assess the basics of geography and populations
- Recognize the importance of social responsibility and civic participation
- Describe the cultural impact of visual, musical and performing arts
- Trace the physical development of young children
- Evaluate effective academic assessments for multiple subject areas
In this course, you'll work through a collection of 343 lessons that are divided into 38 topical chapters. Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz that helps you retain knowledge of important terms, historical figures, math formulas, etc. If you get stuck or need to ask a clarifying question, simply use our convenient Ask the Expert feature.
NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245) Exam Information
New York State teaching candidates are required to take the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood exam in order to teach grades 5 through 9. Passing the test demonstrates your understanding of subjects that are taught to middle childhood students.
- Number of Questions: 41 (Part One), 41 (Part Two) and 40 (Part Three)
- Question Types: Selected-response and constructed-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours (Part One), 2 hours and 15 minutes (Part Two), 1 hour (Part Three); 5 hours and 30 minutes if taking all parts together
- Exam Cost: $65 (Part One), $65 (Part Two), $49 (Part Three); $179 if taking all parts together
NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245) Exam Breakdown
|NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part One) Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part One)||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Knowledge of literacy and language arts||30%||17||17|
|Instruction in foundational literacy skills||30%||17||13|
|Instruction in English language arts||10%||6||40|
|Analysis, synthesis and application||30%||1||8|
|NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part Two) Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part Two)||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Algebra and functions||35%||17||18|
|Measurement, geometry, statistics and probability||30%||14||36|
|Analysis, synthesis and application||20%||1||15|
|NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part Three) Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Teachers of Middle Childhood Exam (Part Three)||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Science and technology||40%||16||30|
|Fine arts, health and fitness, family and consumer science and career development||20%||8||62|
NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood (231/232/245) Preparation and Registration
This course provides an opportunity for you to study for the NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood exam at your own pace. You can also tailor the lessons based on your specific study needs. The brief and effective lessons in this course help to ensure your understanding of key topics covered by the exam. The short assessment quizzes test your knowledge of essential topics and can also be printed for offline study. Each chapter has a practice exam, which can serve as an additional assessment of your knowledge, understanding, and preparedness for the exam.
Exam registration can be handled online by visiting the NYSTCE website. The different parts of the exam can be taken all together or separately. Testing sites are available in the state of New York and across the nation. Testing dates are available throughout the year, Monday through Saturday (except holidays). On exam day, you must arrive on time and present a government-issued ID. It is recommended that you arrive at least 30 minutes early. You can withdraw from a testing session, but it must be done at least 24 hours before the scheduled exam.
New York State Teacher Certification Examination (NYSTCE CST) Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Middle School History Teacher
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Texas
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Virginia
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Ohio
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Massachusetts
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Florida
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Georgia
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- How to Become a Teacher in Connecticut: Certification Exam & Requirements
- How to Become a Middle School Math Teacher in New Jersey
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts