- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 252
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
This course can be found in: NYSTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NYSTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide provides a convenient and quick way you can review material before taking the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Family and Consumer Sciences exam. The lessons in this course align directly with the topics addressed on this teacher certification test. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
35 chapters in NYSTCE Family & Consumer Sciences (072): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NYSTCE Courses
About This Course
From birth control to wellness, this course is designed to help you review the various topics you'll need to know when taking the NYSTCE Family and Consumer Sciences exam. You can expand your knowledge or refresh your memory of nutrition and nutrients, human development, family dynamics, family planning, parenthood, consumer decision-making and career planning. Each lesson takes ten minutes or less to review, so you can cover a lot of material in a short period of time. Access the lessons covering only the topics you need to study or view the entire course for a more comprehensive review. Test your knowledge along the way by taking self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams. For offline study, you can print lesson transcripts for quick-reference purposes.
Check out our NYSTCE Preparation resources! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and NYSTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Refer to this course to study the topics you'll be tested on when taking the NYSTCE Family and Consumer Sciences exam. You can study wellness lifestyle choices, health and fitness, food preparation and safety, human development and aging, pregnancy and social programs for families. After you complete this course, you should be able to:
- List and provide information about nutrients
- Explain nutritional needs and health from adolescence through late adulthood
- Discuss food safety standards and guidelines
- Name food industry careers
- Outlines stages of human development from infancy to adulthood
- Identify factors affecting human development
- Give details about sexual development
- Describe methods of birth control and family planning
- Understand housing and clothing selection processes
- Explain economics and consumer rights
- Describe consumer behaviors
- Talk about basic career skills and instructional and assessment strategies
This course is made up of 34 individual chapters broken down into 239 video and text lessons. Lessons are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can fit study time into any busy schedule.
NYSTCE Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Information
The state of Washington requires that any licensed educator seeking an endorsement in family and consumer sciences education must take and pass this certification exam.
- Number of Questions: 91
- Question Type: Multiple-choice and constructed response
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $134
NYSTCE Family and Consumer Sciences Preparation & Registration
Using this study guide could help you achieve a passing score on the NYSTCE Family and Consumer Sciences exam. You'll study lessons focusing on eating right and exercising; planning meals; preparing foods; and how children and adolescents develop emotionally, physically, socially and sexually. You can also review family structure, home design and housing, consumer rights, and skills needed in all types of workplaces.
When you're ready to register, simply go to the NYSTCE website and create an account. This allows you to access what you'll need to submit for registration, which includes personal information and payment of exam fees. Once your registration is complete, you can then schedule your test date, time and location online. Making your test appointment is on a first-come, first-served basis.
NYSTCE is a trademark of the New York State Education Department, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- ESL New York State Teacher Certification
- New York State Teacher Certification Requirements
- Alternative Teacher Certification in New York
- Business Teacher Certification New York
- Spanish Teacher Certification in New York
- New York State Teacher Certification Program Overviews
- New York State Teacher Certification Requirements for Special Education
- New York State Teacher Assistant Certification Requirements
- New York State Math Teacher Certification Requirements
- New York State Health Teacher Certification Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses