- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 86
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Gifted Education? - History, Models & Issues
This course can be found in: NYSTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NYSTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this extensive study guide to review gifted education instructional strategies, curriculum development and more. This course is designed to cover all of the concepts you could be tested on when taking the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Gifted Education exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NYSTCE Courses
About This Course
Use this course to refresh your memory or learn new facts about various gifted education topics prior to taking the NYSTCE Gifted Education exam. You'll find lessons on the development of gifted students, assessing gifted students, curriculum development, gifted learning environments, and the interpretation of student assessments. Each short lesson takes only minutes to review and can be accessed as many times as needed to ensure your full understanding of every topic. Experienced instructors guide you easily through this material, and experts can be contacted with any questions via a brief online form. Self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams measure what you have learned and retained as you move through this course.
Check out our NYSTCE Preparation resources! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and NYSTCE informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Fully prepare yourself for the NYSTCE Gifted Education exam by studying this detailed course. You can study information about students' and teachers' rights in gifted education, differentiated instruction practices, and professional development for gifted education teachers. Once you have completed this guide, you should be able to:
- Define and discuss the history of gifted education
- Discuss the development of gifted students
- Identify special issues in gifted education
- Explain how gifted students are assessed and identified
- Detail curriculum planning and instructional strategies in gifted education
- Understand how to teach students self-advocacy and self-assessment
- Describe gifted education learning environments
- Perform assessments on gifted students
- Summarize assessment results
This course is made up of 11 individual chapters broken down into 93 video and text lessons. All lessons are accessible from any device 24/7, and the transcripts are printable so you can create quick-reference study materials if needed.
NYSTCE Gifted Education Exam Information
The NYSTCE Gifted Education exam is a content specialty exam administered to licensed New York State teachers who seek to work in this area.
- Number of Questions: 91 questions
- Question Type: Selected and constructed response
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $134
NYSTCE Gifted Education Exam Breakdown
Note that this table reflects only the 90 selected-response questions on this exam. There is an additional constructed-response question worth 20% of the score which covers concepts found throughout the other test areas.
|NYSTCE Gifted Education Concept||Percent of NYSTCE Gifted Education Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Gifted Education and Professional Practice||13%||15 questions||15|
|Development and Characteristics of Students Who Are Gifted and Talented||13%||15 questions||14|
|Assessment, Evaluation, and Differentiated Education Plans||14%||15 questions||23|
|Learning Environments, Social Interactions, and Communication||13%||15 questions||7|
|Planning and Instruction||14%||15 questions||29|
|Gifted Services and Collaboration||13%||15 questions||5|
NYSTCE Gifted Education Exam Preparation & Registration
You'll find this study guide to be a quick and convenient way to prepare for the NYSTCE Gifted Education exam. Lessons cover gifted education principles, needs and characteristics of gifted children, identifying gifted students, lesson plan development, and the teaching of communication, self-assessment, critical thinking and nonacademic skills in gifted students. You'll also review how to create an effective learning environment and use various professional development resources for gifted education teachers.
You can register for this exam by creating an account on the NYSTCE website. Once you have submitted registration information and remitted payment of exam fees, you can then click on 'schedule' to set your test date, time and site. Scheduling for NYSTCE exams is done on a first-come, first-served basis.
NYSTCE is a trademark of the New York State Education Department, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- New York State Teacher Certification Requirements for Special Education
- Gifted Education Certification Requirements in Alabama
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Louisiana
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Missouri
- New York Physical Education Teacher Certification
- ESL New York State Teacher Certification
- New York State Teacher Certification Requirements
- New Jersey Schools with Professional Development Courses in Education
- Design Courses in New York with School Overviews
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses