- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 104
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Makes School Library Media Programs Effective?
Course SummaryThis entertaining study guide can ensure you fully understand library media specialist functions, library resources, library media program management and more. Exploring short lessons, mini quizzes and practice exams in this course can prepare you for the NYSTCE Library Media Specialist exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
16 chapters in NYSTCE Library Media Specialist (074): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course discusses all aspects of the position of a library media specialist, from instructional strategies to library collection development. By reviewing our engaging lessons, you will have all of the knowledge needed to pass the NYSTCE Library Media Specialist exam for New York State. Feel confident in your comprehension of library media program principles, uses and trends in educational technology and much more! Multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams gauge your grasp of key concepts and determine your readiness for the day of the exam.
Check out our NYSTCE test prep materials! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NYSTCE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Exploring this study guide can familiarize you with topics you could see on the NYSTCE Library Media Specialist exam. In addition to studying how to create and organize library collections and teach research and inquiry skills, you will be able to:
- Identify and discuss the roles of library media specialists
- Outline how to plan, implement and manage library media programs
- Discuss ways to develop positive library environments
- List and describe library and literary resources
- Share instructional strategies for reading, vocabulary and communications
- Detail ethical and legal uses of information and technological resources
- Exhibit knowledge of collaboration and communication in library media programs
In this course are 94 lessons that have been divided into 15 chapters. The lessons are accessible as short videos or full transcripts and include mini quizzes designed to check your grasp of important exam concepts. Comprehensive exams find out how well you understand each chapter and the entire course.
NYSTCE ESOL Exam Information
The NYSTCE Library Media Specialist exam is a content specialty exam for those seeking certification as a school library media specialist in New York State.
- Number of Questions: 91 questions
- Question Type: Selected response and constructed response
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $134
NYSTCE ESOL Exam Breakdown
|NYSTCE Exam Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|The school library media program||7%||8 questions||5 lessons|
|Roles and responsibilities of the library media specialist||10%||11 questions||10 lessons|
|Information, technology, and literary resources||12%||13 questions||14 lessons|
|Collection development and resource management||10%||11 questions||16 lessons|
|Skills for multiple literacies||10%||12 questions||24 lessons|
|Individual and collaborative learning and inquiry||11%||12 questions||4 lessons|
|Social responsibility and legal and ethical issues||7%||8 questions||10 lessons|
|Administration of the school library media program||13%||15 questions||5 lessons|
|Analysis, synthesis, and application||20%||1 constructed-response question||6 lessons|
NYSTCE ESOL Exam Preparation & Registration
All of the topics you'd expect to find on the NYSTCE ESOL exam are covered here in an easy-to-follow and user-friendly format. When you study our video and text lessons, you'll review information such as the assessments used in ESOL education, the process of language development and ELL instructional practices for teachers. If any of these topics prove too challenging, enlist the help of one of our instructors by submitting any questions you have through the Dashboard.
The NYSTCE ESOL exam is offered in testing centers in New York state and nationwide, by appointment throughout the year. In order to take the exam, candidates must register online and pay all associated fees. Test-takers are encouraged to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled exam time in comfortable, layered clothing and soft-soled shoes. You must bring a current, government-issued form of photo identification with you to the testing center.
NYSTCE ESOL exam is a registered trademark of New York State Education Department, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Library Media Specialist: Job Description, Salary and Requirements
- Flashcards - Assessment & Data for Library Media Specialists
- Flashcards - Professional Development for Library Media Specialists
- Library Media Specialist Degree Program and Licensure Information
- Flashcards - Principles of a Library Media Program
- Flashcards - Planning & Evaluating Library Media Programs
- Flashcards - Management of Library Resources
- Library Theft
- Video Library
- How to Become a Library Manager
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses