- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 242
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Language Skills in Children: Development, Definition & Types
This course can be found in: NYSTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NYSTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide offers an extensive review of various literacy-related instructional, developmental and learning concepts. The course is designed to be used as a study resource for anyone preparing to take the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Literacy exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NYSTCE Courses
About This Course
Let us help you prepare for the NYSTCE Literacy exam with this engaging and professionally written test prep course. You'll find lessons on topics including language development, phonics and the writing process that will boost your confidence ahead of test day. This comprehensive resource offers everything you need to know to effectively prepare for this exam, and our experts are accessible through the dashboard if you have any questions about this material.
Check out our NYSTCE test prep materials! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NYSTCE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
In this course, you can review the ways in which children develop language, fluency and vocabulary as well as oral communication skills. You'll explore methods for teaching writing and phonics along with reading comprehension, spelling and word recognition. When you have completed this course, you should have developed a deeper understanding of how to do the following:
- Detail the foundations of literacy and language
- Identify factors impacting literacy development
- Outline NY literacy standards and instructional strategies
- Define differentiated literacy instruction
- Assess literacy in students
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of literacy specialists
- Explain aspects of emerging literacy
- Discuss instructional methods that can be used for fluency development
- Outline methods and tools for writing for different audiences and purposes
- Perform text analysis and assess texts for complexity
- Provide an overview of oral communication skills
- Explain how to effectively use literacy research
With 223 lessons in 20 chapters, this test prep course contains all the information you need to know to do well on the exam. To make sure you're ready, we recommend taking the short self-assessment quizzes and tests we've included here.
NYSTCE Literacy Exam Information
The NYSTCE Literacy exam is used by NY state to measure the content knowledge and teaching abilities of aspiring literacy specialists seeking certification in this field. This exam is computer-based.
- Number of Questions: 91 questions
- Question Type: 90 selected-response questions and one constructed-response question
- Time Limit: Three hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $134
NYSTCE Literacy Exam Breakdown
|NYSTCE Literacy Exam Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Literacy Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Language & Literacy Development||11%||10 questions||36|
|Foundations of Literacy Instruction & Assessment||18%||17 questions||46|
|Role of the Literacy Professional||9%||8 questions||12|
|Reading & Writing: Foundational Skills||17%||15 questions||46|
|Text Complexity & Text Comprehension||18%||16 questions||32|
|Reading & Writing Different Types of Text||12%||11 questions||18|
|Language & Vocabulary Development||14%||13 questions||27|
|Analysis, Synthesis & Application||1%||1 question||6|
NYSTCE Literacy Preparation & Registration
This study guide offers a quick and convenient way to brush up on all topics you'll be expected to know for the NYSTCE Literacy exam. You will study information about language and vocabulary acquisition, stages of literacy development, general and state-specific instructional strategies and standards in speaking. Lessons take less than ten minutes to review and are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can study at your own pace and convenience. Lesson quizzes and chapter exams are useful tools that gauge your readiness in taking the NYSTCE Literacy exam.
Registration for this exam is competed through the NYSTCE website. You must create an account, submit all required information and remit payment of fees. You can then click on 'Schedule' on the NYSTCE website and choose the date and location for your literacy exam. Your scheduling is confirmed by Pearson VUE, the exam administrator for NYSTCE.
NYSTCE is a trademark of the New York State Education Department and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Teach Financial Literacy and Get Study.com Free for One 1 Year
- New York State Teacher Certification Requirements
- ESL New York State Teacher Certification
- Leaders in Literacy: Study.com Speaks With the Director of SCALE
- Design Courses in New York with School Overviews
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Distance Learning Courses and Degrees in Buddhist Studies
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses