- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 161
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Motor Development in Infancy, Early Childhood & Adolescence
This course can be found in: NYSTCE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 20+ NYSTCE study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIf you are planning on taking the NYSTCE Physical Education exam, use this test preparation course to get fully prepared. This engaging and fun online course offers short lessons and practice assessments that cover all of the exam's content areas. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related NYSTCE Courses
About This Course
In this course, you'll find a collection of effective study materials that are designed to get you ready for the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Physical Education assessment. Explore the course's expertly taught health and physical education lessons to review concepts you'll need to know in order to pass the exam. You can expect to review physical education activities and instructional strategies, human development stages, sports rules, physical education philosophy and much more. The course also includes interactive practice tests that can help you check your understanding of the material and make sure you're ready to sit for this teacher certification exam.
Check out our NYSTCE test prep materials! We've got NYSTCE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive NYSTCE study guides to help you study, NYSTCE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational NYSTCE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is closely aligned with the topics that appear on the NYSTCE Physical Education exam. As you progress through the course, you'll review health, human development and exercise concepts that are central to physical education curricula. You'll also review a variety of instructional and assessment methods for the discipline. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Outline the motor development and learning process
- Describe the different stages of human development
- Identify human growth and development influences
- Recognize the socioemotional and cognitive benefits of physical activity
- Define basic nutrition principles
- Discuss basic health, wellness, fitness and physical activity concepts
- Explain principles of training, conditioning, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Teach students about kinesiology and human biomechanics
- Develop manipulative, locomotor and non-locomotor skills
- Guide students in rhythmic and dance movements
- Evaluate the rules of softball, soccer, track and field, volleyball and tennis
- Name outdoor, recreational and aquatic activities
- Assess the history and philosophy of physical education
- Analyze P.E. curriculum development, instructional and assessment methods
In this course, you'll review 23 chapters, with a total of 163 lessons. You can work through the course at your own pace, and to help you get comfortable answering the types of questions you can expect to see on the exam, we've included lesson quizzes, chapter exams and a final course assessment.
NYSTCE Physical Education (076) Exam Information
This exam is used for physical education teacher certification purposes in New York, and it assesses the pedagogical and subject-area knowledge that's necessary for teaching P.E. in the state.
- Number of Questions: 90, plus one written assignment
- Question Type: Multiple-choice and constructed-response
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- Exam Cost: $134
NYSTCE Physical Education (076) Exam Breakdown
In addition to the subareas listed below, the final 20% of the exam will feature one constructed-response question that tests your overall understanding of pedagogical content knowledge in physical education.
|NYSTCE Physical Education (076) Exam Concept||Percent of the NYSTCE Physical Education (076) Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Individual growth and development||18%||20||27|
|Movement concepts, skills and activities||22%||25||50|
|Physical education curriculum and pedagogy||18%||20||43|
NYSTCE Physical Education Preparation and Registration
This course provides a fully dimensional, effective and flexible test preparation experience. You can watch our engaging video lessons on any Internet-connected device, and you can also print lesson transcripts to study when you're not by a computer. Take the practice quizzes to make sure you remember key concepts. If you get stuck or need any extra help with the material, simply use our convenient Ask the Expert feature. You can also revisit the lessons as many times as needed.
To register for the exam, you'll need to create an account on the official NYSTCE website. This account will also enable to you to access your test scores following your exam date. You can register for the test by appointment throughout the year, and you'll be able to find a nearby testing center as you sign up for your exam. The registration process also requires you to agree to the NYSTCE testing rules and policies.
NYSTCE is a registered trademark of the New York State Education Department and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Are the Benefits of Taking Online Courses?
- What Are Some Online Colleges that Offer Short Math Courses?
- What Are Some Colleges that Offer Online Courses?
- What Are Some Courses that Are Offered Online at MIT?
- Physical Therapy Continuing Education Courses Online
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Free Online Courses and Education
- Online CFP Preparation Course Information
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Online Courses in the Physical Sciences: Course Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses