- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 210
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Human Growth and Development Theories
This course can be found in: OAE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ OAE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide course helps you quickly prepare for the OAE Family and Consumer Sciences test. To review all the information you'll need to know, simply work through this collection of expertly presented lessons, practice exams and additional study resources.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
20 chapters in OAE Family & Consumer Sciences (022): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related OAE Courses
About This Course
In this course, you'll find short and simple lessons that cover the topics that appear on the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Family and Consumer Sciences teacher certification exam. Aligned with the exam's major subject areas, this course helps you study concepts you'll need to master by the day of your test. Some of these subjects include human development, parenting, consumer skills, nutrition, food preparation and employability skills. You can work through the course at your own pace, and we've included plenty of practice assessments to help you retain key concepts.
Check out our OAE test prep materials! We've got OAE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive OAE study guides to help you study, OAE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational OAE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
As you work through this course, you'll improve your knowledge of essential family and consumer science topics. The course coincides with the subjects that you'll likely encounter on your OAE exam, and the lessons help you build the knowledge that family and consumer science teachers must have. When you're finished with the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the fundamentals of human development and genetics
- Discuss the dimensions of development across childhood and adulthood
- Assess effective communication skills for different types of relationships
- Understand factors that contribute to the well-being of families
- Determine how couples can effectively plan for pregnancy and childbirth
- Evaluate the basics of consumer credit, financial resource management, personal budgets and consumer economics
- Talk about the applications of housing, interiors, furniture, textiles and apparel
- Outline essential nutrition and food science topics
- Describe the elements of food safety, sanitation, food preparation and menu planning
- Identify career paths in the family and consumer sciences
- Utilize employability skills
This course offers 225 lessons that are grouped into 20 chapters. Each chapter includes a handful of lessons that are designed to be simple and entertaining. You can follow along with the lesson transcripts and use the video tags to jump to specific family and consumer science terms. Be sure to take the quizzes that accompany each lesson to check your understanding of the material.
OAE Family and Consumer Sciences (022) Exam Information
The OAE Family and Consumer Sciences exam measures the pedagogical knowledge and instructional skills that are required for teaching the subject in the state of Ohio. The tests can be taken as part of the initial licensure process for new teachers or as an a content-area endorsement for current teachers.
- Number of Questions: 150
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 3 hours
- Exam Cost: $105
OAE Family and Consumer Sciences (022) Exam Breakdown
|OAE Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Concept||Percent of the OAE Family and Consumer Sciences Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Human development and relationships||33%||50||93|
|Resource management and consumer skills||25%||37||60|
|Nutrition and foods||25%||37||47|
|Workplace skills and careers||17%||26||25|
OAE Family and Consumer Sciences Preparation & Registration
We've designed this course with flexibility and simplicity in mind. To prepare for the exam effectively, you can either work through the course in sequence or navigate to the chapter topics you feel that you need to spend the most time studying. The lessons cover important family and consumer science concepts, and you can be sure that you're only studying the information that you'll need to know for the exam. Our subject-matter experts are available to answer any questions you may have, and the course's 24/7 availability makes it easy to study whenever you have extra time.
Registration for OAE exams can be made online through the official OAE website. When you register, you'll be asked if you're a new teacher who's seeking initial licensure, or whether you're a current teacher who is pursuing a subject-specific endorsement. Most OAE exams are offered throughout the year and by appointment. The OAE website allows you to select your desired test date and location. Upon registration, you'll need to agree to all OAE testing rules and policies.
Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Online Courses and Classes in Family Studies
- OAE Test Preparation & Resources
- Online Family and Consumer Science Courses and Classes
- GED Study Guide Information on the Internet
- GED Practice Test Information and Resources on the Internet
- Family Studies Certification Programs with Course Overviews
- Family and Consumer Science Degree Program Information
- Biopsychology Studies: Degree and Course Information
- Family Studies Major Requirements and Career Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses