- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 98
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
This course can be found in: OAE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ OAE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview concepts in literacy, vocabulary and reading when you access this comprehensive study guide. This course is designed to cover all of the material you could be tested on when sitting for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Foundations of Reading exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related OAE Courses
About This Course
Use this course to reaffirm what you might already know or learn new information to ensure you are fully prepared for the OAE Foundations of Reading exam. You will find lessons devoted to phonics, word analysis, vocabulary development, reading strategies and literacy theory. Each lesson features examples and key term definitions to help you fully understand each concept as you move through the course. Studying is easy with 24/7 accessibility of each lesson, and you can even print lesson transcripts to create quick reference materials. Self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams are great tools you can use to measure what you've learned as you progress through this guide.
Check out our OAE test prep materials! We've got OAE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive OAE study guides to help you study, OAE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational OAE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
You'll find that every concept addressed in the OAE Foundations of Reading exam is covered in this study guide. Lessons cover phonological topics, literary and expository text analysis, reading development and instructional strategies in these areas. Once you have completed this course, you should be able to:
- Define phonological terms
- Explain the development of print awareness
- Apply concepts in phonics to teach reading development
- Outline word analysis strategies
- Teach foundations of vocabulary development
- Analyze and evaluate different types of texts
- Use assessment strategies for reading development
- Provide details about literacy theories
- Implement reading instruction strategies in the classroom
This course is made up of 10 individual chapters broken down into 98 video and text lessons. View the lessons as often as needed and use video tags to jump to only those topics on which you need to focus.
OAE Foundations of Reading Exam Information
OAE exams are used to assess the comprehension level of aspiring educators seeking licensure in the state of Ohio. Beginning in 2017, the Foundations of Reading exam is required to be taken by those who are pursuing teacher certification in Ohio for certain areas, including early and middle childhood education.
- Number of Questions: 102 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice and written assignments
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $139
OAE Foundations of Reading Exam Breakdown
Note that this table reflects only the 100 multiple-choice questions in the OAE Foundations of Reading exam, which accounts for 80% of the exam. The final 20% of the exam is a written assignment that can cover any of the exam's content areas.
|OAE Foundations of Reading Concept||Percent of OAE Foundations of Reading Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Reading Development||35%||35 questions||31|
|Development of Reading Comprehension||27%||27 questions||38|
|Reading Assessment and Instruction||18%||18 questions||29|
OAE Foundations of Reading Exam Preparation & Registration
This course is offered as one of the most comprehensive resources you can use to prepare for the OAE Foundations of Reading exam. You can study information about phonological skills and development, the alphabetic principle, the application of phonics in reading, word patterns, semantics and syntax. You'll also review reading comprehension and text analysis methods, the use of assessment in reading instruction and various strategies for teaching reading that address student motivation, uses of technology, classroom setup, literacy strategies and parental involvement.
Log onto the OAE website with your account to register for the Foundations of Reading or any OAE exam. Once you have registered and remitted payment of exam fees, you can then click on 'Schedule' on the OAE website to set up your test date and site. Note that exams are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
OAE is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Study.com Updates
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Reading With Pictures' David Rapp Talks to Study.com
- How to Get All Your College Course Reading Done Efficiently
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- Desktop Design Degrees in Ohio with Course Descriptions
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses