- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 149
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
This course can be found in: OAE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ OAE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryTake this comprehensive study guide course to get ready for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) English to Speakers of Other Languages exam. This helpful test prep course helps you review all the topics you'll need to know to in order to achieve a passing score on the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
25 chapters in Ohio Assessments for Educators - English to Speakers of Other Languages (021): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related OAE Courses
About This Course
This informative study guide course is intended to help you prepare for the OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages test. Written by professional instructors, these video and text lessons are a comprehensive study guide you can use to review all the important topics you'll find on this teacher certification exam. We've made it easy and convenient to study by making these lessons accessible 24 hours a day on your mobile phone, tablet or computer. If you have any questions as you prepare for the test, simply use the Ask the Expert feature to contact one of our subject matter experts.
Check out our OAE test prep materials! We've got OAE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive OAE study guides to help you study, OAE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational OAE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The content of this course aligns with the ESOL concepts you'll likely encounter on the exam. The course covers ESOL instruction and assessment methods, and it'll help you improve your understanding of the language acquisition and development process. When you're finished with the course, you should be equipped to:
- Explain the basics of phonology, morphology and semantics
- Recognize useful instructional methods for teaching syntax
- Use written and oral discourse and pragmatics in teaching
- Outline the process of literacy development and language acquisition
- Discuss the role of culture in communication
- Create culturally inclusive learning environments
- Compare ESOL instructional design, strategies, models and methods
- Describe instruction strategies for ELL reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Utilize content area instruction with ELL students
- Plan, conduct and interpret assessments for ELL students
- Analyze policy and legislation that affects ESOL instruction
In this course, you'll review 141 lessons that are divided into 24 chapters. When you're finished with a video lesson, print the accompanying transcript to take notes and study later offline. We also encourage you to take the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to solidify your comprehension of the course material.
OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages (021) Exam Information
A passing score on the OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages exam is required for ESOL educator licensure in the state of Ohio.
- Number of Questions: 150
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 3 hours
- Exam Cost: $105
OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages (021) Exam Breakdown
|OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages Exam Concept||Percent of the OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Lessons|
|Foundations of language and language acquisition||20%||30||41|
|Foundations of ESOL instruction||40%||60||47|
|Instruction and assessment of English language learners||40%||60||53|
OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages Exam Preparation & Registration
The lesson quizzes and chapter tests provided in this course offer a great way to test your understanding and see how you might do on test day. The video lessons are easy to navigate using the video tabs feature, so you can skip ahead or go back to review specific subjects as needed. If you have any questions as you complete the course, you're welcome to reach out to one of our instructors for help.
In order to register for the OAE English to Speakers of Other Languages test, applicants must register online and pay all appropriate testing fees. Appointments to take the test are scheduled year-round on a first-come, first-served basis. On test day, candidates must arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled test time. All test-takers must also present a valid, government-issued form of photo identification.
Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Test Prep
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- English Language Class and Course Descriptions
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- More Than Half of SAT Test-Takers Not Ready for College
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Online Undergraduate Courses in English Language Arts
- OAE Test Preparation & Resources
- Software Testing Degree and Course Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses