- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 182
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Forms of Assessment: Informal, Formal, Paper-Pencil & Performance Assessments
This course can be found in: OAE Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ OAE study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis test prep course is designed to help you prepare for both subtests of the OAE Reading exam. Explore fun video lessons and take multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams to strengthen and assess your knowledge of key exam topics and improve your ability to earn a passing score!
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
19 chapters in Ohio Assessments for Educators - Reading (038/039): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related OAE Courses
About This Course
The self-paced chapters in this entertaining study guide are designed to help you get closer to your goal of passing both subtests of the OAE Reading exam and earning educator licensure in Ohio. By exploring the fun lessons in this course, you can boost your knowledge of assessments, language development and reading comprehension and analysis. You'll also gain a better understanding of different strategies for promoting fluency in the classroom and strengthen your knowledge of ways to work with informational texts. Multiple-choice quizzes and comprehensive practice exams make it easy to check your readiness to pass both subtests. Around-the-clock mobile access ensures you're able to study during timeframes and in locations that best suit your schedule.
Check out our OAE test prep materials! We've got OAE courses to teach you the material, comprehensive OAE study guides to help you study, OAE practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational OAE resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The following objectives represent topics you should be familiar with when taking the OAE Reading exam subtests. In addition to knowing how to use, analyze and apply standardized assessments, you'll be ready to do the following upon completion of this course:
- Exhibit knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Discuss how to plan and implement a reading program
- Identify and describe models of growth and language development
- Define and discuss word structure, spelling and pronunciation
- Outline how to build vocabulary, promote and implement literacy
- Showcase an understanding of literary analysis and comprehension
- Detail strategies for critical thinking and efficient study
This course consists of 169 video and text lessons that have been divided into 18 easy-to-navigate chapters. Each lesson is paired with a mini quiz that quickly gauges your understanding of important concepts. Broader practice exams test your knowledge of each chapter and the full course.
OAE Reading Exam Information
The Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Reading exam subtests are designed to ensure candidates are eligible for educator licensure in Ohio.
- Number of Questions: 124 questions (62 per subtest)
- Question Type: Multiple choice and constructed response (both subtests)
- Time Limit: 4 hours (2 per subtest)
- Exam Cost: $56 (one subtest); $105 (both subtests)
OAE Reading Exam Breakdown
|OAE Exam Concept (Subtest I)||Percent of the OAE Exam Subtest I||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Reading assessment||34%||21-22 questions||49 lessons|
|Foundations of reading development||32%||19-20 questions||52 lessons|
|Reading development||34%||21-22 questions||14 lessons|
|OAE Exam Concept (Subtest II)||Percent of the OAE Exam Subtest II||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Comprehension||34%||21-22 questions||8 lessons|
|Reading and literature||24%||14-15 questions||40 lessons|
|Reading across the curriculum||42%||26-27 questions||6 lessons|
OAE Reading Exam Preparation & Registration
As you work through the lessons in each of these chapters, you will strengthen and reinforce your knowledge of how to teach vocabulary, phonics, use of sight words, basic literacy and much more. You will review the theories of Piaget and others on childhood growth and development, and take a look at how language skills develop and progress. These brief, yet informative and entertaining videos are accompanied by full written transcripts, short quizzes and chapter tests, so you can check your retention of the material, identify key terminology and ensure mastery of the information every step of the way.
The OAE Reading test is given Monday through Friday, all year long. Registration is completed online and remains valid for one full year, during which you must choose a test date and complete the examination. If you have not yet tested after that year has passed, you will be ineligible for a refund of your fee and will have to re-register.
Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Compass Exams
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- EMT Test and Exam Information with Tips
- Where Can I Take a Child Care Exam Online?
- Can You Take the CPA Exam with a Bachelor's Degree?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses