- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 123
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Financial Planning Process
Course SummaryReview practices in various areas of financial planning, such as tax planning and retirement planning, using this study guide resource. This course is designed to cover all of the topics you would expect to be tested on when taking the exam to obtain the Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) credential.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Financial Planning Considerations for Life Circumstances||Take Quiz|
About This Course
This study guide consists of several chapters containing video and text lessons that cover personal financial planning concepts, regulations and practices. It addresses topics you would need to be familiar with when taking the PFS certification exam. This comprehensive study guide offers a quick and effective way for you to brush up on the following topics in preparation for taking the exam:
- Investment planning strategies
- Retirement income planning
- Planning for education and life changes
- Financial planning standards and regulations
- Processes in tax and estate planning
- Types of insurance and coverage
- Employee benefits and incentives programs
About the Exam
The PFS is a credential in financial planning established by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and is open to CPAs interested in expanding the scope of their expertise. The exam consists of 160 multiple-choice questions in 12 modules addressing concepts and processes in investment, charitable, risk management, education, elder and special needs, retirement, employee and estate planning, as well as professional responsibilities, foundational financial planning concepts and the overall financial planning process. Test takers are given five hours to complete the entire exam.
Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive study guide is all the preparation you'll need to take the PFS exam. The course provides detailed information about the role of financial planners, professional planning conduct and duties, personal financial services regulations and concepts in net worth, income level, life stages, mortgaging and business. You will review planning strategies and practices for personal and business taxes, estates, charities, health care, education, investing and retirement. Each lesson takes only 5-10 minutes to review and are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can study whenever and wherever it's convenient for you. This self-paced study offers expert instruction, detailed examples and key term definitions so you fully understand all material. Self-assessment quizzes are great tools to help you determine whether you have gained the knowledge needed to sit for the PFS exam.
Online registration can be completed by accessing the AICPA website and creating an account. Once you have registered and paid the required exam fee, you will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) email so you can schedule the date and location of your exam.
The Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) exam is administered by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Financial Planning Manager: Career Guide
- Financial Planning Classes and Courses Overview
- Certified Financial Planning Course and Training Program Info
- Masters in Financial Planning Degree Programs
- Top Schools for Financial Planning Services
- MBA in Financial Planning: Degree Overview
- Master of Financial Planning: Degree Overview
- Best Graduate Degree for Financial Planning
- Distance Learning Certificates in Financial Planning
- Financial Planning Degree Program Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses