- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 97
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Basic Pharmacological Terminology
Course SummaryRefer to this comprehensive study guide to review information about pharmacy technician practices, pharmacy processes and regulations, and more. This guide is designed to cover all of the topics appearing on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
13 chapters in Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE): Test Prep & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In this course, you will study lessons devoted to such topics as pharmacological terminology, drug interactions, medication dosage, compounding and dispensing. You will also have the opportunity to review pharmacy laws and regulations, safety practices, quality control and electronic information systems. Inventory management and pharmacy billing processes are also covered. After you complete your study of this course, you should have developed a better understanding of the following:
- Drug uses, interactions, reactions and contraindications
- Types of medications and supplements
- Dosage formulas and calculations
- Compounding and dispensing processes
- Pharmacy and medication safety
- State and federal pharmacy laws and regulations
- Pharmacy quality and inventory management
- Electronic pharmacy systems
- Pharmacy health insurance and reimbursement policies
About the Exam
The PTCB is an exam used by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board to determine the level of one's professional knowledge in the field. It is a computer-based exam consisting of 80 scored and 10 unscored multiple-choice questions. The exam has nine knowledge domains and areas: pharmacology for technicians; pharmacy law and regulations; compounding; medication safety; quality assurance; medication order entry and fill process; inventory management; billing and reimbursement; and information systems. The largest number of questions appear in the order entry and fill process, pharmacology, medication safety and law and regulations sections. Candidates have two hours to complete the exam. The passing scaled score is 1400, with a potential score range of 1000 to 1600.
PTCB Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive, easily-accessible study guide offers a quick and convenient way to study for the PTCB exam. This resource allows you to build a better understanding of drug and pharmacology terminology; drug interactions; uses of prescription and OTC drugs as well as various supplements; compounding guidelines and processes; medication dispensing processes; safety and error prevention strategies; and pharmacy electronic systems. You will also study details about billing practices, drug and supply inventory, quality control, federal and state laws, drug databases and reimbursement systems. Lessons are presented in either video or text formats by pharmacy professionals and take only 5-10 minutes to review. You can access these lessons 24/7 from any device, so it's easy to create a self-paced study schedule. Assess what you have learned with quizzes and chapter exams to ensure mastery of each topic as you move through this guide.
To register for this exam, you must register on the PTCB website and complete the online registration form after meeting all test eligibility requirements. Once your registration and payment of exam fees have been processed, you will be notified of your authorization to test via email. You can then schedule your test date and location with Pearson VUE, the exam's administrator, either online or via phone.
The PTCB exam is developed by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Pharmacy Technician
- Certified Pharmacy Technician Exam and Licensing Information
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate and Certification Programs
- IV Certification Options for Pharmacy Technicians
- Pharmacy Technician Certification: Program Summary
- Pharmacy Technician PhD Program Information
- Pharmacy Technician: Online Diploma
- Top Schools for Pharmacy Technicians
- Pharmacy Technician Career Video
- Pharmacy Technician: Educational Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses