- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 108
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Course SummaryIf you're getting ready to take the PLACE Physical Education exam, our convenient and mobile-friendly practice course can help. Use the video and text lessons in this comprehensive study guide course to review the concepts that you will encounter on the exam so you can get a great score on the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Note: As of June 9, 2016, this PLACE exam was replaced by Praxis Physical Education (5091). To access the study guide for this new test, please visit our Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide.
The chapters of this course provide brief but informative overviews of such topics as body systems, physical fitness, motor skills development, physical education safety and program design. You can expect to find questions pertaining to these topics in the four competency areas of the PLACE Physical Education exam, which address human development, physical fitness, motor skill acquisition, and program development and implementation. Study.com has aligned this guide with the exam's objectives, and you will have the opportunity to review the following:
- Aspects of human development from infancy to adulthood
- Psychological effects of physical activity
- Social, cognitive and emotional development
- Characteristics and functions of various body systems
- Exercise and fitness principles
- Movement and physicality
- Physical education program development and assessments
About the Exam
The PLACE Physical Education exam is a content area exam required for those seeking certification as physical education instructors at the elementary, middle or high school levels. You will need to demonstrate knowledge various physical activities, physical growth and instructional strategies in order to pass this test. The test is paper-administered and contains multiple-choice questions only. A passing score of 220 is required for all PLACE exams.
PLACE Physical Education Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive study guide allows you to review and assess what you have learned about physical, cognitive and social development throughout the stages of life, adolescent stress and socialization, the functions of body systems, fitness concepts, techniques for playing various types of sports and characteristics of successful physical education programs. Self-assessment quizzes show your proficiency in these areas and help you determine if your knowledge is at the level you would need to pass the PLACE Physical Education exam.
Registration for PLACE exams is available 24/7 online. Once you have accessed the PLACE website, go to the 'Register Now' tab and create an account. Payment of exam fees can be made online, by phone or by mail using a credit card, cashier's check or money order. A printed admission ticket must be presented along with personal I.D. at the test site the day of your exam.
PLACE is a registered trademark of the Colorado Department of Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Financial Examiner Course and Class Reviews
- Physical Education Courses and Classes Overview
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Physical Therapy Continuing Education Courses and Classes
- Physical Education Degree Programs with Course Descriptions
- Physical Therapy Continuing Education Courses Online
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses