- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 204
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Human Growth and Development Theories
Course SummaryGet ready for the PLACE School Counselor exam with this helpful study guide. Inside the course, you'll find engaging lessons, quizzes and practice exams that cover everything you need to know. Work through the course at your own pace to master the material and gain confidence before the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use this course to fully prepare yourself for the PLACE School Counselor exam. Our lessons are self-paced, allowing you to review the theories and practices of school counseling whenever it's most convenient for you. You'll find quizzes that go over each concept, focusing your attention on the counseling topics you want to familiarize yourself with. Specific subjects reviewed by this study guide include:
- Topics and issues involving human development
- Learning and counseling theory
- Student learning and diverse learning environments
- Steps for developing a curriculum
- Forms of counseling and crisis intervention
- Issues involving diversity and equality
- College and career counseling tools
- Counseling programs and the responsibilities of guidance counselors
- Assessments and program evaluations
About the Exam
The state of Colorado requires prospective school counselors to complete the PLACE School Counselor exam. The exam is offered in paper and pencil format. Subjects covered by the exam include human growth and development, counseling, consultation, group work, career development, educational planning, appraisal, assessment, school counseling programs and professional orientation. This exam is available three times a year.
Preparing & Registering for the PLACE School Counselor Exam
You can review the information you learned through your schooling with this course, to ensure it's fresh in your mind when you take the PLACE School Counselor exam. Our expert instructors have made sure each chapter covers the topics involved with school counseling that you'll find on the exam. In addition to the quizzes associated with every lesson, you will also be able to complete the longer chapter tests, which require you to apply knowledge you've gained through the chapter as a whole.
Registration for the PLACE School Counselor exam should be completed roughly three weeks before your desired testing date. You may register online. Payment and specific personal information will be required at the time that you register. You will need to bring a printed copy of your admission ticket and No. 2 pencils with you to the test site the day of your test.
Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliate(s), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Compass Exams
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Social Work Licensing Exam Requirements
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Measured Progress Exams
- 4 Ways to Study Effectively for Your CLEP Exams
- What to Do When Your Study Group Isn't Helping You Succeed on Exams
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Corrections Officer Exam Information
- EMT Schools in Texas
- Clinical Lab Scientist Employment Info and Requirements for Becoming a Clinical Laboratory Scientist
- Behavior Studies Professor Employment Information and Requirements for Becoming a Behavioral Studies Professor
- Court Transcriptionist Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career in Court Transcription
- Psychiatric Technician Job Duties and Requirements for a Career As a Psychiatric Technician
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses