- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 169
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
Course SummaryThe lessons and self-assessments in this course help you become fully prepared for the PLACE Special Education Generalist exam. You can access this course at any time that's convenient, and it covers all of the special education topics you'll need to know.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Note: As of June 9, 2016, Colorado educators may take either the PLACE Special Education Generalist (20) exam or the Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354). To access the study guide for this new test, please visit our Praxis Special Education (5354): Practice & Study Guide.
This course is for aspiring special education teachers who are planning on taking the Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE) Special Education Generalist exam. Inside the course, you'll find informative video lessons that help you fully understand the concepts that appear on the test, including special education instruction, assessment and communication topics. You can expect to study:
- Human growth and development fundamentals
- Special education learning theories
- Disability types and characteristics
- Colorado's special education legal and philosophical foundations
- IEPs and other special education services
- Assessing, intervening and supporting student behavior
- Special education assessments
- Teaching emergent literacy, reading, active language, math, communication and social skills in special education
- Special population curriculum planning
- Special education instruction methods
- Classroom management and learning environments
- Special needs classroom technologies
- Collaborating, communicating and promoting post-school outcomes in special education
- Special educator teacher responsibilities
About the Exam
PLACE exams are part of Colorado's teacher licensing process. The exams measure a candidate's ability to display instructional knowledge and skills that are needed in order to teach in the state. The Special Education Generalist test contains four main subject areas, including student disability knowledge, student assessments and IEPs, development and learning promotion and the professional special education environment.
PLACE Special Education Generalist Test Preparation & Registration
Using this course to prepare for the PLACE Special Education Generalist exam is simple, convenient and enjoyable. Each lesson is taught by a subject-matter expert who uses an engaging instructional style. You'll watch short video lessons that are accompanied by word-for-word transcripts and short multiple-choice quizzes. Take the chapter exams, as well as the course's final assessment to get practice answering the types of questions you'll encounter on the PLACE Special Education Generalist test. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with these concepts.
You'll be able to complete test registration online through the official PLACE website. Registration can be made during registration periods. After beginning the registration process, you'll be asked to create an account and fill out some personal information. You can also arrange to have your test scores sent to you via email. After submitting payment, you'll receive confirmation and an admission ticket for your exam.
The PLACE Special Education Generalist exam is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Special Education Course Information
- Online Special Education Graduate Courses Overview
- Should I Become a Special Education Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Special Education Teaching Degree in Atlanta with Course Overviews
- Special Education Teaching Courses in Houston, TX with Degree Info
- Online Early Childhood Special Education Classes and Courses
- Online Classes in Special Education Teaching with Course Descriptions
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Special Education?
- How Do I Get a Special Education Certification?
- What You Should Know Before Pursuing a Special Education Certification
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses