- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 136
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Political Science?
Course SummaryReplace your traditional political science textbooks with our enlightening, mobile-friendly textbook replacement course. These video lessons and multiple-choice quizzes offer an engaging, fun way to learn at a lesser cost than traditional textbooks provide.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches political science can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most political science textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like philosophy, civil liberties, conservatism and liberalism are perfect for briefly introducing a political science topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional political science textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of fascism, communism, socialism and anarchism.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online political science textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our political science textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring autocracy, democracy, feminism and other political science topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like the functions and powers of unicameral and bicameral legislatures easy to understand.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Blended Learning: All of Study.com's courses are perfect solutions for a flipped classroom environment, blending classroom, digital and mobile learning into one package.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this political science and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online political science textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in political science class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your teacher via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings political science lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb political science theories, summaries and approaches.
- Identify the political science topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging political science video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like electoral systems, forms of government, the Congress and presidential elections.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any political science topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our political science course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about the federal judicial system, comparative law and public policy.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in political science, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this political science course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a political science concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Define and explain political science terms
- Study the history of civil rights and civil liberties
- Explore ideologies, politics and philosophy
- Identify the functions of government and explain the importance of electoral systems
- Learn about different kinds of legislatures as well as their purposes
- Discover more about the powers of the President and congressional members
- Understand federal bureaucracy and examine the structure of the judicial system
- Discuss the roles of U.S. political parties
- Read about interest groups and the American media's influence on politics
- Explore U.S. political culture and the origins of public opinion polling
- Study aspects of comparative and international law
- Describe social, fiscal, public, defense and foreign policies
- Explain theories and concepts related to international relations
- Get information about how international actors use their fame to promote political issues
- Outline several global issues and their relationships to politics
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- How to Ask Your Professor to Choose a Lower-Cost Textbook
- Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- People's Choice Nominees: Best Discount Textbook Provider
- Best Discount Textbook Provider, People's Choice Awards
- Enter To Win Free Textbooks for a Year
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses