- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 71
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Beginner's Guide to Using PowerPoint
Course SummaryShow your current or potential employer your strong understanding of PowerPoint by using this short course. Videos provide a fun way to learn how to create presentations, insert slides, utilize animation features and complete other tasks with this software that can help you as you begin or advance in your career.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Become a more versatile employee or prepare to advance your career by acquiring skills in PowerPoint. Our videos use fun animations and graphics to help you quickly learn about PowerPoint menus, drawing tools, themes, formatting methods, transitions and best practices for creating presentations. The course has multiple sections that each contain a group of lessons you can watch in just a short period of time, including many videos that are about five minutes long. In this course, you'll learn about:
- PowerPoint tool bar and menus
- Presentation creation and management techniques
- Sharing and printing presentations
- Slide content creation, formatting and grouping methods
- Using transitions and animations
- Usage rules for graphics and fonts
How It Works
Watch the videos in this course on your schedule and at any location with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. If time allows, start from the beginning with lessons on drop down menus and features and watch all the lessons through the final video on font options. If you prefer, pick out just the lessons that interest you, like lessons on animating slide content and linking to external media. To get started:
- Select a video from the list, such as Converting Text to Smart Art and click play
- Read the transcript while you watch the video or just scan it for key terms
- Use the lesson quizzes to test your knowledge of chart manipulation, background formatting, customization and transition creation
- Use the video tags to find main points in the video without having to re-watch the entire lesson
- Click Next to move on to the next lesson
- Take chapter exams to test your skills in each category
- Ask our expert instructors any questions you have on PowerPoint presentation methods
- Complete the final exam to solidify your knowledge of the tools and features of PowerPoint
- Pass all the lesson quizzes to earn a certificate of completion
How It Helps
Mastering PowerPoint fundamentals can help you show employers your commitment to being a flexible and adaptable member of the team. Demonstrate your knowledge by creating presentations, lending your skills to other employees' presentations or teaching new employees.
|Chapter||Topics & Objectives|
|Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar||Study the file, home, insert and design menus and learn the purposes for the transitions and animations, slide show and view menus.|
|Create and Manage Presentations||Examine methods for creating blank presentations or using templates, and identify functions of slide masters and layouts, backgrounds and themes.|
|Printing and Sharing Your Presentation||Study the different print options and learn about backwards compatibility, configuration options, custom slideshows and presentation methods.|
|Create Slide Content in PowerPoint||Compare WordArt and SmartArt and find out how to create custom bulleted lists, tables and charts. See how to insert media and link to external media.|
|Insert, Format, Order, and Group Shapes & Slides in PowerPoint||Learn to add and delete slides, modify slide backgrounds, change the order of slides and use gridlines.|
|Apply Transitions and Animations in PowerPoint||Get tips for adding transitions, animating shapes and text and setting the timing of transitions and animations. Study how to use the animation pane.|
|Manage Multiple Presentations||Discover how to merge content of multiple presentations, track changes, embed fonts and compress a presentation. Determine how to look for accessibility and compatibility issues.|
|PowerPoint Best Practices||See guidelines on setting the tone of a presentation and deciding on an appropriate time length. Learn to gauge the amount of graphics to include and font types to use in a presentation.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- 5 Summer Activities That Are Fun And Help Kids Learn
- How Video Games Help Children with ADHD Study & Have Fun
- Where Can I Learn to Draw Animation Pictures?
- Careers in Video Game Animation: Job Options and Requirements
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Animation Video: Becoming a Computer Animator
- Career Advancement for Software Engineers
- SAP Software Engineer Video: Training Requirements and Career Options
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Informational Interviews: A Great Way to Research Careers Video
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses