- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 134
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse the short, informative lessons contained in this study guide to review basic algebraic principles and functions. This course is designed to address all of the topics you would encounter on the Praxis Algebra I teacher certification exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
You can fully prepare for the Praxis Algebra I exam by reviewing the lessons in this comprehensive study guide. You'll review algebraic expressions, inequalities, linear and quadratic equations, rational and irrational numbers, exponents and graphing data. Lessons are accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can fit your study time into any busy schedule. Use the guide's self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to measure your understanding and determine if you need more review or are ready to take the Praxis Algebra I exam.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course prepares you for exam questions on algebraic concepts and your ability to teach this subject in the classroom.You will have the opportunity to review all the algebra topics you'll need to know for the exam, including writing and solving equations, solving and graphing inequalities, calculating slope and intercept, and using systems of equations. After you have finished your review of this course, you should be able to:
- Solve equations with two or more variables
- Define an inequality
- Solve and graph linear equations
- Apply the quadratic formula to solve problems
- List and explain different types of functions
- Discuss the behavior of functions
- Provide examples of explicit and recursive functions
- Describe composite and inverse functions
- Note the main exponent properties and multiply and divide exponential expressions
- Define rational and irrational numbers
- Analyze graphical and statistical data
- Understand scatterplots and correlation
This course is made up of 18 individual chapters broken down into 128 video and text lessons. Review each lesson or chapter as often as needed to ensure your full understanding and track your progress through the course on your dashboard.
Praxis Algebra I Exam Information
Aspiring algebra teachers in states that use the Praxis exams must take and pass the Algebra I exam to obtain the necessary certification to teach this subject in public schools.
- Number of Questions: 60
- Question Type: Selected-response and numeric-entry
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Algebra I Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Algebra I Concept||Percent of Praxis Algebra I Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Principles of Algebra||38%||23 questions||53|
|Number and Quantity; Probability and Statistics||32%||19 questions||39|
Praxis Algebra I Preparation & Registration
This study guide is the only prep material you'll need to get ready for the Praxis Algebra I exam. This resource provides details about algebraic functions, systems, expressions and problem solving methods in bite-sized lessons you can go back to as often as needed to focus only on those topics you need to review.
Registration for this and any Praxis exam is easy: simple create an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website, fill out the necessary information, pay the test fees with a debit or credit card (or use PayPal) and print out the admission ticket emailed to you. To register by mail, simply download the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form from the ETS website, fill it out and mail it to ETS. You will then get a voucher number to complete your registration. If you register by phone, an additional charge applies.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Study.com Updates
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- List of Free Online Algebra Courses and Lessons
- Informative Essay Topics for Teachers
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Meet the December 2018 Recipient of Study.com's Grant for Teachers
- Teacher Certification in Dallas with Course Descriptions
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Atlanta Teacher Certification Programs with Course Summaries
- Connecticut Teacher Certification Programs with Course Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts