- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 198
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryPrepare for the Praxis Education of Young Children exam with this study guide. Our quick video lessons and quizzes provide a comprehensive, step-by-step review of all of the concepts you must be familiar with when you sit for this exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
25 chapters in Praxis Education of Young Children (5024): Study Guide & Exam Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
If you are planning to sit for the Praxis Education of Young Children (5024) exam, this study and prep guide was made for you! It serves as a total review of the early childhood-related pedagogical concepts you need to know to pass the exam and gain licensure. The lessons in this course guide you through such subjects as early childhood development, early childhood instructional strategies and curriculum design, young student assessments, teaching early childhood reading, language and writing, and creating safety learning environments for young children. Access lessons 24/7 from any device and print lesson transcripts to generate quick-reference tools. Use self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to gauge what you've learned.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This extensive study guide is designed to encapsulate all of the topics that are addressed on the Praxis Education of Young Children exam. You will learn how to identify the needs of young learners, apply appropriate instructional methods, design early childhood curricula and pursue professional development as an early childhood educator. You will also be able to:
- Understand stages of cognitive, emotional, social and moral development
- Discuss influences and variations in child development
- Recognize instructional styles and strategies
- Create safe, respectful and positive environments for learning
- Perform student assessments
- Provide details about phonics, reading comprehension, language development, geometry, presentation, and speaking and writing development
- Describe content pedagogy for mathematics, language arts and emergent reading
- Understand how to work with families, colleagues and communities
- Discuss teaching as a profession, including laws, guidelines and ethical standards
This course is made up of 24 individual chapters that have 177 video and text lessons. The material is presented by engaging instructors. The lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and you can easily track your progress on your Dashboard.
Praxis Education of Young Children Exam Information
The Praxis Education of Young Children exam is administered in several states to prospective teachers, particularly those seeking licensure in early childhood education (birth to age 8). It measures their understanding of basic content areas and child development and their readiness in teaching at this level.
- Number of Questions: 123 questions
- Question Type: 120 selected-response and 3 constructed-response questions
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $146
Praxis Education of Young Children Exam Breakdown
Note that this exam breakdown reflects only the exam's 120 selected-response questions and does not include the three constructed-response questions found on this test.
|Praxis Education of Young Children Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Education of Young Children Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Childhood Development and Learning||17%||25 questions||22|
|Observation, Documentation, and Assessment||13%||19 questions||22|
|Developmentally Appropriate Practices||13%||19 questions||28|
|Professionalism, Family, and Community||13%||19 questions||19|
|Content Pedagogy and Knowledge||24%||38 questions||86|
Praxis Education of Young Children Preparation & Registration
Use this study guide for a solid preparation of the Praxis Education of Young Children exam. Our video lessons can be accessed any time, whether you're settling in for a deep study session or looking for a quick refresher on the topic. In this guide, you'll tackle subjects like early childhood development and its multiple dimensions and influences, the goals and responsibilities of instructional design, the identification and sensitive screening of special needs children, developmentally appropriate practices and more. Our guide also features content-specific chapters that relate to relevant educational standards and instruction. For additional practice, each lesson has its own short quiz, which you can use to check and monitor your progress.
Registration for this and any other Praxis exam may be completed online, by mail or by telephone (U.S. only). When registering, you can select the date, time and location that work best for you. Note that the Education of Young Children exam is only offered during certain date windows for each month. After you register, you will receive an admission ticket that you should bring with you to the testing center. If you arrive late for your exam, you won't be allowed to take it, so it's best to get to the center early; aim for 30 minutes in advance. You must also bring a form of identification to the testing center, though ID requirements will depend on the country in which you are taking the exam. In most cases, you'll need a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or a passport.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become an Education Coordinator: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- How to Become a Video Game Technician: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- How to Become an Appraiser: Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Become an Editor: Step-by-Step Guide
- How to Become a Doctor: Step-by-Step Guide
- Become a Claims Examiner: Step-by-Step Guide
- Become a Special Education Counselor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Become an Adult Education Instructor: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses