- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 302
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Phonics? - Definition & Overview
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this extensive study guide to review your understanding of English, math, science and social studies topics that would be taught at the elementary school level. This guide is a great resource to help you prepare for the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge teacher certification exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
41 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge (5018): Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Exam Study Guide
With subjects ranging from effective writing to U.S. history, this course provides you with the opportunity to review all of the topics addressed on the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge exam. You'll go over phonics and grammar, mathematical patterns and formulas, chemistry and geology concepts, and historical facts from pre-Revolution through post-WWII. You can also study information about politics, the environment, matter, geometric shapes, measurement, literary texts and much more. Brief 5-10 minute overviews and 24/7 accessibility of all lessons make it easy to fit study time into any schedule. Test your understanding of each topic by taking self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams as you move through the guide. Reach out to experts with any questions by using a short online contact form. This course was last updated in 2019.
Check out our Praxis test prep materials! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge (5018) exam, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by Educational Testing Service. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Reading and Language Arts
- Define and apply concepts in foundational skills of reading
- Apply strategies to interpret literature and informational texts
- Understand effective writing techniques and characteristics of types of writing
- Recognize differences between academic, conversational and domain-specific language
- Identify parts of speech, grammar, and the meaning of words and phrases
- Recognize operations and properties of rational numbers, linear equations and inequalities
- Understand algebraic expressions
- Calculate area, surface area, perimeter and volume and solve real world problems
- Utilize statistical concepts to solve problems
- Identify world and regional geography
- Discuss significance of human and physical interactions and the relationship of humans to their environments
- Relate knowledge of major contributions of classical civilizations and the significance of twentieth-century developments on world history
- Understand European exploration and colonization in North America, the founding of the United States and the American Revolution
- Create a timeline of major events in the United States since its beginning
- Have knowledge of governmental purpose and forms, and recognize important speeches and documents of United States history
- Identify responsibilities of a citizen
- Define key terms and concepts in economics and know the impact of economics on population, resources and technology
- Utilize data gathering and research
- Explain basic historical and physical geology, as well as basic astronomy
- Identify the structure and processes of the earth's hydrosphere
- Explain the levels of organization of living things and the basic structure and function of cells
- Discuss evolution and basic genetics
- Classify and identify the characteristics of the major groups of organisms
- Discuss plants and their functions and identify the basic anatomy and physiology of animals
- Explain the main points of ecology and the impact of science on society and the environment
- Identify basic structure and properties of matter and the relationship between energy and matter
- Name basic chemical reactions
- Understand basic mechanics, electricity, magnetism, waves, and optics
- Utilize scientific inquiry and utilize safe practices of scientific tools and procedures for experiments and present findings appropriately
Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Course Format
This course is made up of 41 individual chapters broken down into 302 video and text lessons. Lessons can be accessed from any device, at all times, and transcripts are printable so you can easily create quick-reference study materials.
Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 140 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response and numeric-entry
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Concept||Percent of Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Reading and Language Arts||35%||49 questions|
|Social Studies||18%||25 questions|
Registering and Preparing for the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge (5018) Exam
You can register for Praxis exams online, by mail or by phone. Create an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website and submit all information and payment of exam fees online. An admission ticket to your test site will be emailed to you. By mail, you must print, complete and mail the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form found on the ETS website. You will sent a voucher with instructions to complete your registration. Call the toll-free number for ETS to register by phone; an additional charge applies for this format.
This course is one of the most comprehensive materials you'll find to help you prepare for the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge exam. It is designed to help you understand literary and grammatical concepts, chemical and algebraic formulas, math operations, notable U.S. history events, political and economic systems, and much more. For more information on registering and preparing for the Praxis Elementary Education - Content Knowledge (5018) exam, check out our informational resources.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become an Elementary Gym Teacher: Career Guide
- How to Become an Elementary School Teacher
- Social Studies Essay Topics for Teachers
- Elementary School Teacher Education Requirements
- Elementary School Art Teacher Certification Information
- Nevada Elementary Teacher Certification
- Missouri Elementary Teacher Certification
- Requirements to Become an Elementary Math Teacher
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Idaho Elementary Education Certification
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses