- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 286
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Creating Themes, Units & Lessons Targeting Literacy Skills
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReaffirm your understanding of concepts in basic content areas with this extensive study guide. The lessons contained in this guide are designed to align with the topics you'll be tested on when taking the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
34 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Use the lessons in this course to reinforce what you know or learn new details to fully prepare you for the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam. Review information about concepts in math, science, social studies and language arts. You can also go over instructional strategies in music, art and physical education as well as assessment methods in elementary education. Lessons can be reviewed as often as needed to gain a full understanding of what to expect on the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam. Expert instructors guide you easily through each topic in short lessons that each take 10 minutes or less to review. Take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure what you have retained as you move through this guide.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
Every topic you'll encounter on the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam is covered in this course. You'll study curriculum concepts in math, language arts, science and social studies and review such details as reading comprehension practices, algebraic and geometric concepts, physical and life science topics, and important events in history. Once you complete this course, you should be able to:
- List foundational reading skills
- Teach text analysis methods, language structure, vocabulary and grammar
- Help students develop strong writing, speaking and listening skills
- Understand basic math operations, decimals, percents, fractions, estimation and number theory
- Know how to teach units of measurement, probability and statistics
- Describe scientific inquiry methodologies and scientific processes
- Provide details about ecological systems, earth structures, and concepts in physics and chemistry
- Instruct in areas of health, geography, history, economics, sociology and anthropology
- Discuss teaching strategies and general concepts in music, art and physical education
- Detail assessment types, uses and strategies
This course is made up of 34 individual chapters broken down into 271 video and text lessons. Our lessons are accessible from any device, at any time, so you can easily fit studying into any schedule.
Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Exam Information
The Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam is used in many states to measure the knowledge of prospective elementary educators in areas of subjects they will be teaching. Teachers must attain a passing score to be granted certification to teach at the elementary level.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Concept||Percent of Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Reading and Language Arts||31%||37 questions||64|
|Social Studies||14%||17 questions||46|
|Art, Music and Physical Education||13%||15 questions||34|
There are also six lessons devoted to assessment types and strategies to assist you with the assessment questions found in each section of the exam.
Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Exam Preparation & Registration
This guide is offered as one of the most comprehensive study aides you can refer to before taking the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment exam. In language arts lessons, you'll study details about phonics, reading fluency, text analysis, the writing process, syntax and semantics, and teaching critical thinking skills. Mathematics topics addressed include problem-solving, rounding numbers, ratios and rates, linear equations, algebraic expressions, shapes, measurement and data collection and organization. Science lessons cover living organisms, earth and space systems, physical science laws, and health and fitness. Additionally, social studies concepts include cultural regions, U.S. and global economics, U.S. government branches and functions, and cultural values. Other lessons focus on art tools and processes, musical terms and practices, and physical education topics such as fitness, exercise and weight management.
Register for Praxis exams online by creating an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. Submit all requested information and payment of exam fees via a debit or credit card or PayPal. Your admission ticket for the day of your exam will be sent to you in your confirmation email.
Registration by mail entails downloading, printing and filling out the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form from the ETS website and mailing it to the appropriate address. You will then be mailed a voucher that includes instructions about how to complete your registration. Registration can also be completed by calling the ETS toll-free number; additional charges apply.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Understanding OCW: A Field Guide to Free Education
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Become a Curriculum Designer: Career Guide
- Assessment in Schools | A Guide to Assessment Types
- What Is Summative Assessment? | A Guide to Summative Assessment
- A Guide to Adult Education Options
- GED Study Guide Flashcards
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- Online Elementary Curriculum and Instruction Certificate Programs
- Formative Assessment in Schools | A Guide to Formative Assessment
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses