- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 117
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryFrom math operations to geometry topics, this study guide is designed to cover basic concepts in mathematics. By using this guide, you can fully prepare yourself for the Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics subtest.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
16 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics (5003): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Use this course to refresh your memory on concepts you need to know for the Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics subtest. You can review number theory, algebra concepts, volume and area of geometric shapes, data interpretation and probability. Each lesson takes only 5-10 minutes to review, so you can easily fit study time into any busy schedule. Track your progress on your Dashboard, and measure your understanding with lesson quizzes and chapter exams as you move through the course. This course was last updated in 2019.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have comprehensive guides to the Praxis Math and Praxis Core with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This study guide is one of the most comprehensive resources available to help you prepare for the Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics subtest. You'll find information about rational numbers, problem-solving practices, algebraic expressions and geometric angles. After you complete this course, you should be able to:
- Explain math operations
- Understand number theory and mathematical reasoning
- Discuss patterns and sequences
- Provide details about algebraic expressions and equations
- Describe properties of shapes
- Solve perimeter, area and volume problems
- Identify different types of and use graphs
- Understand standard and metric measurement systems
- Discuss concepts in statistics and probability
This course is made up of 18 individual chapters broken down into 131 video and text lessons. Lessons are accessible 24/7 from any device, and the transcripts are printable so you can easily create quick-reference tools if desired.
Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics Exam Information
This subtest is one of four that make up the Praxis Elementary Education exam, which is used in many states to measure the knowledge level of aspiring elementary school teachers in several content areas. The information below reflects only the mathematics subtest of this exam.
- Number of Questions: 50 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response and numeric entry
- Time Limit: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Exam Cost: $60
Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics Concept||Percent of Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Numbers and Operations||40%||20 questions||43|
|Algebraic Thinking||30%||15 questions||23|
|Geometry and Measurement, Data, Statistics and Probability||30%||15 questions||65|
Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics Exam Preparation & Registration
The short lessons that make up this study guide are designed to address every concept found on the Praxis Elementary Education - Mathematics subtest. You'll study lessons on number theories and operations, solving word problems, geometric sequences, math formulas and shapes. You'll also learn more about angles, surface area and data sets.
Registration for this or any Praxis exam can be completed online, by mail or by phone. Online, simply create an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website, submit requested information, and pay exam fees with a credit/debit card or through PayPal. You will receive a confirmation email, which contains your admission ticket to the test site on the day of your exam. By mail, print out the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form found on the ETS website, complete and mail to ETS. You can complete your registration when you receive your voucher number. Registration by phone is completed by calling a toll-free number, though you must have set up a Praxis account online first. Additional charges apply for this form of registration.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Masters Degree in Elementary Mathematics Education: Program Overview
- Mathematics Education Graduate Programs
- How I Combined Music and Mathematics in My Elementary Classroom
- A Guide to Adult Education Options
- GED Study Guide Flashcards
- STEM Careers in Mathematics
- What Can You Do With a PhD in Mathematics?
- How to Become an Elementary Gym Teacher: Career Guide
- Studying 101: Guide to Studying in College
- Mathematical Physics Education Program Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses