- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 209
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Impact of Phonological Skills on Literacy Development
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryWork through this comprehensive test preparation course to study terms and concepts that appear on the Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts subtest. The course contains bite-sized lessons, practice exams and other study resources that can help you get fully prepared for the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
22 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Reading & Language Arts Subtest (5002): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
This course is designed to get you ready for the Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts subtest. Using any computer or mobile device, you can quickly review the information that you'll likely encounter on the day of your exam. Complete the course to study the foundations of phonological awareness, reading comprehension, textual analysis, digital writing tools, English language conventions, the writing process and much more. You'll learn from expert English instructors, and you'll also have the opportunity to take practice assessments that help you master the information you study.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
Syllabus & Course Information
The content of this course corresponds to the English language arts and reading topics that appear on this particular Praxis subtest. When you review each chapter, you'll sharpen your pedagogical knowledge as well as your literacy instruction skills. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the concept of phonological awareness
- Discuss the process of fluency and literacy development
- Support emergent readers
- Use effective reading comprehension strategies in the classroom
- Analyze texts
- Describe the structure of literary works and informational texts
- Compare different points of view in texts
- Teach students how to integrate information
- Assess the complexity of a text
- Compare types of speeches and writing
- Break down the writing and research process
- Recognize the elements of effective writing
- Understand conventions of the English language
- Identify the characteristics of language, speaking and listening
- Integrate speaking, viewing and listening in ELL and ESL environments
The course has 21 chapters and a total of 191 lessons. The bite-sized nature of the lessons helps you quickly move through the course materials. Take the self-assessment quizzes to reinforce your understanding of the information. You can also submit any questions you may have through the Ask the Expert feature.
Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts Subtest (5002) Information
The Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts subtest measures the types of instructional skills and subject-area knowledge that elementary-level English teachers should have when pursuing professional certification/licensure.
- Number of Questions: 80
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $160
Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts Subtest (5002) Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts Subtest Concept||Percent of the Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts Subtest||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Writing, speaking and listening||53%||42||103|
Praxis Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts Subtest Preparation & Registration
We've designed this course to be flexible and convenient. Access the course materials online using your computer or mobile device. You can study whenever you have free time in your schedule, and your course dashboard will keep track of your progress as you prepare for the exam. If you want to study offline or take notes, just print the word-for-word lesson transcripts. You can also revisit the lessons as many times as needed. We encourage you to take the final course assessment to make sure you're ready to sit for the Praxis subtest.
You can register for this Praxis subtest by phone, mail or through the official Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. The registration process involves paying an exam fee, choosing a desired test date, locating a nearby testing center and printing your admission ticket. You can also consult the ETS website for specific testing requirements for your state.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Praxis Test Preparation & Resources
- Common Adult Education Courses in Foreign Language Studies
- The Best Way to Study for Your Praxis Test
- GRE Test Preparation & Resources
- CCXP Test Preparation & Resources
- AFOQT Test Preparation & Resources
- CNE Test Preparation & Resources
- CPCE Test Preparation & Resources
- ACT Test Preparation & Resources
- CMA Test Preparation & Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses