- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 82
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Nature of Science
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this brief study guide to get fully prepared to take the Praxis Elementary Education - Science subtest. You can review or learn new facts in life, earth and physical sciences.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
12 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Science (5005): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
This course is designed to address all of the concepts you will be tested on when you take the Praxis Elementary Education - Science subtest. You can review matter, motion, earth cycles and energy. You will also find chapters covering nutrition, biodiversity and scientific inquiry. It's easy to create a convenient, flexible study schedule with our 24/7-accessible lessons, which you can view from any device. Use the timelines in our video lessons to jump to points in the video that address the topics you wish to review. Submit a brief online contact form to reach out to experts with any questions, and take self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to gauge what you have learned as you move through the course.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the material you will encounter on the Praxis Elementary Education - Science subtest is covered in this extensive study guide. You will find lessons devoted to the properties of matter, the history of the earth, personal health topics, genetics and the solar system. Once you complete this guide, you should be able to:
- Identify and explain Earth structures and processes
- Understand processes of the atmosphere and hydrosphere
- List and define celestial objects, such as stars and planets
- Explain ecosystems and biodiversity
- Talk about nutrition, diseases and drugs
- Describe laws of motion and energy
- Understand concepts in electricity
- Discuss scientific theories, research methodologies and inquiries
This course is made up of 12 individual chapters broken down into 81 video and text lessons. Review the lessons as often as needed and print transcripts to create quick-reference materials.
Praxis Elementary Education - Science Exam Information
Entry-level elementary teachers in many states must take and pass all of the subtests of the Praxis Elementary Education exam to demonstrate knowledge of content areas to achieve teacher certification. The information below reflects only the science subtest of this exam.
- Number of Questions: 50 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 50 minutes
- Exam Cost: $60
Praxis Elementary Education - Science Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education - Science Concept||Percent of Praxis Elementary Education - Science Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Earth Science||32%||16 questions||21|
|Life Science||34%||17 questions||29|
|Physical Science||34%||17 questions||22|
Note that scientific processes and inquiry are addressed in each of the exam's sections; there are 9 lessons that address these concepts in this course.
Praxis Elementary Education - Science Exam Preparation & Registration
This study guide is designed to be the most comprehensive resource you can use to prepare for the Praxis Elementary Education - Science subtest. You'll find lessons that delve into the earth's layers and structures; components of the atmosphere; weather and climate; stars and the solar system; cells and genetics; and ecosystems. You'll also study personal health topics, chemical properties, light and sound, and scientific methods and uses.
To register for this exam, create an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website, fill out the necessary information, pay the test fees with PayPal or a debit or credit card, and receive a confirmation email with an admission ticket, which you will need on the day of your exam. You can also register by mail by downloading the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form from the ETS website, filling it out and mailing it to ETS. You will then get a voucher number to complete your registration. If you register by phone, an additional charge applies.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Bachelor of Science in Education: Online Elementary Education Degree
- Become a Life Sciences Teacher: Education and Career Roadmap
- Distance Learning Life Sciences Degree Program Overviews
- Life Sciences School in New York with Degree Program Overviews
- Life Sciences Degrees in New Jersey with School Information
- Applied Earth Science Education and Training Program Information
- Love Science? Take a Picture of It!
- Physical Science Professions: Education Requirements & Career Info
- Jobs Related to Earth Science
- Elementary Science Worksheets and Printables
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses