- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 118
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Old World and New World: Why Europeans Sailed to the Americas
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryEverything you need to know for the Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies subtest is covered in this extensive study guide. Use this course to learn more about ancient and modern history, economics, government and sociology concepts.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
14 chapters in Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies (5004): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
From colonization to 20th century developments, this course will address all of the topics you will be tested on when you sit for the Social Studies subtest of the Praxis Elementary Education exam. Learn new facts or refresh your memory about European colonization, major events and eras in U.S. history, world politics, U.S. government structure and basic concepts in economics. Also study economic systems, domestic and international economic concepts, economic institutions and environmental topics. Lessons take only 5-10 minutes to review and you can choose to print lesson transcripts to create handy reference materials. Reach out to experts via a short online contact form with any questions about these lessons and take quizzes and chapter exams to gauge what you have learned and identify any areas which you need to further review.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This comprehensive study guide aligns with the topics covered in the Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies subtest. You will study details about European history, the Civil and World Wars, 20th century American history, geography, trade, global markets and economic systems. When you have finished your review of this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss European exploration and colonization
- Provide details about the American Revolution, slavery, westward expansion, the Industrial Revolution and American Imperialism
- Discuss 1920s America, the Great Depression and the Cold War
- Talk about ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome
- Describe forms and roles of the U.S. government
- Define geographical terms and identify places and regions
- Understand basic concepts in geography and sociology
- Discuss principles of American democracy
- Review historical interpretations
- Describe economic concepts
This course is made up of 14 individual chapters broken down into 112 video and text lessons. Each lesson can be accessed at any time, from any device, so you can study whenever it's most convenient for your schedule.
Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies Exam Information
The Social Studies subtest is one of four subtests that make up the Praxis Elementary Education exam. This exam is used in several states to measure the content knowledge of entry-level elementary teachers and demonstrate their ability to instruct in these areas. The details below reflect only the Social Studies portion of the exam.
- Number of Questions: 55 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 50 minutes
- Exam Cost: $60
Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies Concept||Percent of Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|United States History, Government, and Citizenship||45%||25 questions||69|
|Geography, Anthropology, and Sociology||30%||16 questions||14|
|World History and Economics||25%||14 questions||29|
Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies Exam Preparation & Registration
This course is designed to be a thorough and convenient study aid for anyone preparing to take the Praxis Elementary Education - Social Studies exam. You will study short lessons about the colonization of America and important conflicts, movements and eras in U.S. history; ancient world history; important U.S. documents and government structure; geographical systems; social institutions and issues; cultural topics; and economic markets.
The easiest way to register for this or any Praxis exam is by creating an account on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. There, you will access the application that must be completed and submitted along with payment (via debit/credit card or PayPal) of exam fees. You will then receive a confirmation email with an admission ticket you will need on the day of your exam.
You can also register via mail or phone. Print out the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form from the ETS website, fill it out and mail it to ETS. You will be mailed a voucher with instructions on how to complete your registration. Call the toll-free number found on the ETS website to register by phone; note that additional charges apply when you register this way.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Social Studies in Early Education
- Everything You Need to Know About Indian Presidential Elections
- What to Do When Your Elementary Student Already Seems to Know Everything
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- What You Need to Know About the History of US & Russia Relations
- Is Studying History Still Important?
- Ancient History Courses and Classes
- Studying 101: Guide to Studying in College
- GED Study Guide Flashcards
- Why Every Student Needs Extensive Reading for Language Learning
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses