- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 140
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this study guide to reinforce what you need to know about ESL, such as instructional strategies, assessment methods and linguistic and language topics to prepare for necessary teacher certification exams. This course addresses the material found on the Praxis ESL exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
From language acquisition to ESL standards, this comprehensive study guide is a great tool you can use to brush up on facts you'll need to demonstrate knowledge of when taking the Praxis ESL (5361) exam. You will have the opportunity to build a better understanding of what is expected of you as an ESL teacher. Discover how to apply relevant teaching and assessment techniques and how to define linguistics terms and more. Each lesson is easily accessed from any device, so you can structure a self-paced study schedule. Topics are taught by experts in the field and you can reach out with any questions about this material using an online form. Take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure your knowledge as you move through this course.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Everything you need to know to sit for the Praxis ESL exam is covered in this comprehensive study guide. You can review details about literacy development, ESL assessments, ESL instructional strategies and teaching techniques. When you're finished with this guide, you should be able to:
- Discuss the principles of linguistic theory
- Detail concepts in sociolinguistics
- Describe foundational concepts in second-language learning
- Provide details about writing and spelling development in ESL students
- Apply classroom management techniques in ESL classrooms
- Identify special issues in ESL assessments
- Understand the effects of culture on ESL learning
- Talk about ethical and legal issues in ESL teaching
- List ESL teacher roles and responsibilities
This course is made up of 14 individual chapters that are segmented into 130 video and text lessons. Short, engaging video lessons take only about ten minutes to review, and they provide a fun way to ensure you know what you need to for the Praxis exam.
Praxis ESL Exam Information
A number of states use the Praxis ESL exam to determine the knowledge levels of aspiring ESL teachers prior to licensure in this subject area. The first part of the exam contains 20 listening questions. This study guide affords you a quick and convenient way to review subjects that you'll encounter on this exam.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis ESL Exam Breakdown
|Praxis ESL Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis ESL Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Linguistics and Language Learning||40%||48 questions||30|
|Planning, Implementing and Managing Instruction||30%||36 questions||49|
|Cultural and Professional Aspects of the Job||22%||26 questions||26|
Praxis ESL Exam Preparation & Registration
You can refer to this extensive study guide to review information you will need to know for the Praxis ESL exam. Brush up on what you know about such topics as phonology and syntax; sociolinguistics; constructivism and cognitivism; ESL spelling and reading development; and ESL teaching models and instructional strategies. You will also find lessons focusing on technological and other instructional materials and resources; ESL classroom management techniques; ESL teacher roles; and the use of and interpretation of ESL assessments. Short video and text lessons offer expert instruction and 24/7 accessibility from any device, so study is effective and convenient. Take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to determine how much you understand of each topic and measure your readiness to move on through the course.
Registration for this or any Praxis exam can be completed online, by phone or by mail. Simply access the ETS website, pay required test fees and print out the admission ticket emailed to you. If you prefer to register by mail, download and print the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form, complete it and mail to ETS. You will be mailed a voucher with instructions for registration. If registering by phone, you must call the toll-free number to register and pay fees by credit or debit card. An additional charge is attached to the use of the phone registration service.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Maryland ESL Teacher Certification
- ESL Teacher Certification in Missouri
- ESL Teacher Certification in Minnesota
- ESL Teacher Certification in Kentucky
- ESL Teacher Certification in Pennsylvania
- ESL Teacher Certification in Oklahoma
- ESL Teacher Certification in Tennessee
- ESL Teacher Certification in Alabama
- ESL Teacher Certification in Ohio
- ESL Teacher Certification Missouri
- Casino Surveillance Technician Employment Information for Becoming a Casino Surveillance Technician
- Emergency Vehicle Technician Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming an Emergency Vehicle Technician
- Top Rated Computer Networking School - Lexington KY
- Speech Communications Top School with Speech Communications Degree Programs - St Paul MN
- Sun Certified Solaris Administrator
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses