- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 214
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Reading Comprehension: Literal, Inferential & Evaluative
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to this comprehensive study guide to refresh what you already know or learn new details about basic science, math, English and social science concepts. You need to be familiar with all of these topics when taking the Praxis Fundamental Subjects Content Knowledge exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
25 chapters in Praxis Fundamental Subjects - Content Knowledge (5511): Study Guide & Exam Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
This course is designed to help you become fully prepared to sit for the Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge (5511) exam. It details such subjects as literature, communications, reading comprehension, algebra, geometry and number sense. You will also find lessons devoted to civics, economics, biology, ecology, technology and earth and space science. Lessons are presented in a fun and engaging video format and can be accessed 24/7 from any device, making it simple to create a flexible and self-paced study schedule. Lesson transcripts are also printable if you wish to produce handy reference materials. Reach out to expert instructors with any questions via a contact form.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
In this comprehensive study guide, you will find lessons focusing on each of the concepts you'll be tested on when taking the Praxis Fundamental Subjects Content Knowledge exam. You'll review details about reading comprehension and literary analysis, communication skills, science and math concepts, and government and economics topics. After you finish this guide, you should be able to:
- Provide details about literary analysis methods and literary devices
- Describe the development of reading comprehension and writing communication skills
- Explain basic algebra, geometry, measurement and physics concepts
- Solve problems of probability and data analysis
- Name major historical figures, conflicts and movements in U.S. history
- Identify geographic tools and coordinates
- Detail government organizations and systems
- Discuss basic concepts in biology, chemistry and ecology
- Talk about Earth and space science concepts
- Present facts about the impact of science and technology on the environment
This course is made up of 191 video and text lessons that are spread across 24 individual chapters. Each lesson contains a self-assessment quiz and every chapter a chapter exam, so you can quickly measure how much you've memorized as you progress through the course.
Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge Exam Information
The Praxis Fundamental Subjects Content Knowledge exam is used by many states to ensure that aspiring teachers have strong knowledge of basic content areas before granting licensure. You can help ensure that you will pass this exam by reviewing this extensive study guide.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|English Language Arts||25%||30 questions||28|
|Citizenship and Social Science||25%||30 questions||45|
Praxis Fundamental Subjects-Content Knowledge Exam Preparation & Registration
Use this study guide if you are looking for a practical way to review material prior to taking the Praxis Fundamental Subjects Content Knowledge exam. You will have the opportunity to study details about literary themes; text structures; basic math operations; solving equations and word problems; and graphs, charts and data interpretation. Other topics addressed include major political and economic events; scientific tools and experiments; and facts about physics, earth and space science. Lesson accessibility (24/7 from any device) and expert instruction make these lessons convenient and effective. Lesson transcripts are printable for easy reference and instructors can be reached with any questions via an on-screen contact form. Self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams are great tools you can use to determine what you have retained from the course and whether you are ready to sit for the Praxis exam.
You can register for this or any Praxis exam online, by phone or by mail. If registering online, first create an account on the ETS website and complete the registration process. Pay the exam fees with a debit or credit card. A confirmation email will be sent from ETS that contains your exam admission ticket. Register by mail by visiting the ETS website and downloading and printing the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form; mail it to ETS. A voucher with registration instructions will be sent to you by mail. To register by phone, call the toll-free number and pay fees as you would when registering online. An additional charge may apply when you register by phone.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Subjects New Early Childhood Teachers Need to Study
- Math and Science Bachelors Degree Programs: Overviews by Field of Study
- Social Science and Studies
- Social Studies Essay Topics for Teachers
- White House Announces New Math and Science Achievement Campaign
- Jobs that Involve Science and Math
- Top Schools for Social Sciences
- Bachelor Degrees in the Social Sciences
- Tips for Taking a Praxis Test As a Non-Native English Speaker
- How to Become a Science Teacher in New York
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses