- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 132
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Who is Plato? - Philosophies, Ideas & Contributions
Course SummaryGet ready for the Praxis Government/Political Science exam with this convenient test prep guide. This collection of political science lessons can help you quickly and efficiently review topics you could encounter on the test, including the branches of government, the U.S. Constitution, political parties and more.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
13 chapters in Praxis Government/Political Science (5931): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
As part of your test preparations for the Praxis Government/Political Science exam, take a look at the resources we've provided in this study guide. Our short lessons address U.S. Constitutional principles, the U.S. judicial and legislative branches, and political participation in the U.S. Review the number of lessons you need to and customize your study experience in whatever way is required. Feel free to reach out to our experts through the Dashboard with any questions that come up.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This comprehensive political science study guide helps you get ready for the Praxis Government/Political Science exam. The course contains engaging lessons that will strengthen your knowledge of the government and political science topics that could be on the Praxis exam, such as the foundations of the U.S. Constitution and U.S. political parties and elections. These lessons help you achieve the following goals:
- Detail the foundations and principles of the U.S. Constitution
- Outline the U.S. executive, legislative and judicial branches
- Define bureaucracy in America
- Explain the workings of state and local governments
- Identify acts and movements related to civil rights and liberties
- Discuss important Supreme Court cases and decisions
- Understand presidential elections and the U.S. political parties
- Give examples of different types of political participation
- Describe international relations and political systems
This course is made up of 120 lessons in 12 chapters for your review on any tablet, computer or smartphone. In order to check your knowledge and test readiness, we've also included lesson quizzes and chapter tests.
Praxis Government/Political Science Exam Information
The Praxis Government/Political Science exam is designed to assess a potential entry-level teacher's readiness to teach government and political science at the high school level. The exam is computer-delivered.
- Number of Questions: 120
- Question Type: selected-response questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Government/Political Science Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Government/Political Science Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Government/Political Science Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|United States Constitution||22%||26 questions||24|
|United States Government: Federal, State & Local Institutions||28%||34 questions||34|
|Civil Rights and Civil Liberties:Landmark Court Decisions||16%||19 questions||21|
|United States Politics||20%||24 questions||26|
|Comparative Politics & International Relations||14%||17 questions||15|
Praxis Government/Political Science Preparation & Registration
You can study the entire course for a complete refresher on American government and political concepts or just focus on particular topics you need to spend more time studying. Our instructors deliver the information you need to know by breaking down key definitions, concepts, historical figures and documents. Applying a straightforward and engaging instructional style, these lessons help you study with ease. To practice answering the types of questions you may find on the exam, you're encouraged to take our interactive self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams.
Test-takers can find upcoming exam dates and testing centers on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. Because each state has different certification and passing score requirements, test-takers should consult their own state's requirements on the ETS website. Exam registration can be completed online, by mail or over the phone.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Can You Do With a Bachelors in Political Science?
- What Can I Do with a Political Science Degree?
- What Can You Do With a Master's in Political Science?
- Learn Political Science
- Political Science Quizzes
- Political Science Videos
- Should I Major in Political Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Top Political Science Colleges and Universities in the U.S.
- Careers with a Political Science Degree
- PhD in Political Science Careers
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses