- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 147
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Praxis?
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this self-paced study course to quickly and effectively prepare for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics exam. Our fun lessons, mini quizzes and practice tests can enhance your math knowledge and help you pass the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
14 chapters in Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5732): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Praxis Math Study Guide
The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics exam, also known as Praxis Math, is one of three exams colleges and universities sometimes require students to take to gauge their mathematics, reading and writing knowledge. One, two or all exams can be used to determine an applicant's readiness to enter a teacher education program or eligibility to secure licensure in their state. This entertaining study guide prepares students to answer questions on Praxis Math by covering the real number system, functions, geometric measurement, statistics, algebraic expressions and more.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have comprehensive guides to the Praxis Math and Praxis Core with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Praxis Math Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the Praxis Math, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Number and Quantity
- Building and reducing fractions and finding the least common denominators
- Adding and subtracting like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Finding the greatest common factor and least common multiple
- Simplifying square roots and expressions containing square roots
- Defining a zero and negative exponent
- Calculating ratios and proportions
Algebra and Functions
- Describing the correct setup to solve math problems
- Evaluating simple algebraic expressions
- Defining variables, linear equations, systems of equations and inequalities
- Solving equations on the CLEP scientific calculator
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions
- Composing and manipulating functions
- Describing properties of shapes like rectangles, squares, polygons and quadrilaterals
- Defining the Pythagorean theorem and solving trigonometric equations for x
- Graphing circles and defining the tangent of a circle
- Defining exterior and interior angles of triangles
- Measuring the area of regular polygons, trapezoids, parallelograms, rectangles and rhombuses
- Calculating the volumes of basic shapes
- Defining cylinders, spheres, pyramids, cones and prisms
- Finding the surface area of a cube, rectangular prism, cylinder and pyramid
Statistics and Probability
- Defining normal distribution, random sampling and bivariate data
- Finding expected values in games of chance like dice, blackjack and lotteries
- Describing how randomized experiments are designed
- Calculating the probability of permutations and combinations
- Conducting statistical analysis with categorical data
- Using categorical data to make estimations and predictions
Praxis Math Course Format
This Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics exam study guide course is composed of 132 lessons in 12 chapters. Every lesson is accompanied by a multiple-choice self-assessment quiz, and you'll find a test at the end of each chapter.
Praxis Math Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 56
- Question Type: single-answer multiple-choice, multiple-answer multiple-choice, and numeric-entry questions
- Time Limit: 85 minutes
- Exam Cost: $90
Praxis Math Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Number & Quantity||30%||17 questions||26|
|Algebra & Functions||30%||17 questions||60|
|Statistics & Probability||20%||11 questions||27|
Registering and Preparing for the Praxis Math Exam
You can register for the Praxis Math exam online, but if you need extra time or other accommodations because of a disability or language barrier, you'll have to mail your registration form and identifying documentation. Since you'll be taking a computer-based test, you'll receive 30 minutes of practice time to get familiar with the software and hardware before you begin. Make sure to bring your test ticket and photo ID to the testing location on the day of the test.
We host simple and engaging video lessons in each subject area of the Praxis Math test, along with quizzes that let you test your knowledge of the material presented. The chapter on equations and inequalities will help you understand parts of a graph, intercepts, standard form and graphing inequalities. Other chapters will introduce concepts like functions, congruence, similarity, square roots and exponents.
For more information on registering and preparing for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics exam, check out our Praxis Informational Resources.
Praxis Math - Scoring
Because the test is only available on a computer-based platform, your scores will become available 2 to 3 weeks from the testing date. You are only scored on correctly answered questions, and you aren't penalized for wrong answers or unanswered questions. Passing scores depend on the institution requiring you to take the exam, but your report will show the qualifying score for your state.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Are the Praxis Core Academic Skills Tests?
- 4 Ways to Study Effectively for Your CLEP Exams
- Strategies & Tips to Help You Pass Your Praxis Test
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Which Skills Do Teacher Certification Exams Emphasize?
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Compass Exams