- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 368
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview the bite-sized and engaging lessons in this study guide course to quickly prepare for the Praxis Biology test. This self-paced and mobile-friendly course covers all the biology concepts that you'll encounter on the exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About this Course
You can quickly prepare for the Praxis Biology (5235) exam by reviewing this course. It opens with an overview of various scientific processes and disciplines and goes on to provide detailed overviews of genetics, cell structures, human anatomy, plant biology, life origins and ecosystems. The 24/7 accessibility of these lessons from any device, easy contact with instructors via online contact forms and printable lesson transcripts make this study guide a flexible and effective means by which you can become fully prepared to take the Praxis Biology exam.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
With this course, you can focus on topics you will encounter on the Praxis Biology exam, such as cell structures and division, chemical reactions, biology lab practices, animal and plant reproduction, and evolution. By the time you complete your review of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe hypotheses, theories and change
- Explain chemical reactions
- Detail the basics of molecular structure and organic molecules
- Discuss cellular division
- Give details about DNA and RNA, gene changes, mutations and human genetics
- Name human body systems and describe functions of each system
- List plant structures and discuss plant reproduction
- Discuss ecosystems and population
- Talk about environmental issues and human impacts on the environment
- Outline laboratory equipment and measurements
- Identify safe biology lab techniques
This course is made up of 31 individual chapters broken down into 338 video and text lessons. Track your progress through the course using your Dashboard and identify specific topics you need to further review before taking this Praxis exam.
Praxis Biology Exam Information
If you want to work as a public high school biology teacher in certain U.S. states, you'll have to pass the Praxis Biology exam en route to becoming certified. This study guide covers all the topics you need to know for this particular exam.
- Number of Questions: 150 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2.5 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Biology Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Biology Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Biology Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|History and Nature of Science||14%||21 questions||54|
|Molecular and Cellular Biology||20%||30 questions||66|
|Genetics and Evolution||20%||30 questions||89|
|Diversity of Life and Organismal Biology||20%||30 questions||71|
|Ecology: Organisms and Environment||16%||24 questions||27|
|Science, Technology, and Social Perspectives||10%||15 questions||31|
Praxis: Biology Content Knowledge Preparation and Registration
This course was crafted by professional educators with experience in biology. You'll benefit from our brief but comprehensive video lessons, which were designed to be both engaging and easy to follow. If you learn best by reading, you can utilize the written transcripts that accompany each video. Finally, to test your mastery of biology, you can take the short, multiple-choice quizzes that accompany each lesson.
The Praxis: Biology Content Knowledge test is offered in computer format over various testing windows throughout the year. Specific dates can be found on the ETS website. Registration for both testing formats can be completed online or by mail. You also can register by phone, but you'll be assessed a registration fee in addition to the cost of the test itself. During the registration process, you can identify as many as three school districts or licensing agencies that you'd like to receive your scores.
Praxis: Biology Content Knowledge Scoring
Each state that uses the Praxis as part of its certification process sets its own minimum score. You can find a compilation of these scores on the ETS website.
Your score should be available online 2-3 weeks after your test date. Your score report will indicate whether you've passed the Praxis, and you'll be notified if you performed well enough for a Recognition of Excellence Award.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Molecular Biology Course and Class Reviews
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Online General Biology Course Information
- Systems Biology Course and Class Information
- Plant Biology Courses & Lectures Online
- Wildlife Biology Course and Class Descriptions
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Online Biology Course, Class and Program Descriptions
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts