- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 224
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Introduction to Literary Theory: Major Critics and Movements
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis entertaining study guide course makes preparing for the Praxis English Language Arts (ELA) - Content Knowledge exam quick and easy. Improve your knowledge of main exam concepts with help from fun lessons, short quizzes and practice tests.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
30 chapters in Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge (5038): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Study Guide
The Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge exam is one of dozens of Praxis Subject Assessments used in some states as a part of the educator licensure or certification process for applicants interested in teaching specific grade levels or subject areas. The exams are also used for professional licensing by some organizations or associations. Examinees taking the Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge exam should be prepared to showcase their understanding of figurative language in literature, argument and rhetorical strategies, forms of poetry and types of essays, all of which are covered in this comprehensive course. Bite-sized lessons in this course also closely examine essay proofreading, literary themes, writing instruction methods and classroom discussion strategies.
This course was last updated in 2019.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge exam, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
- Describing Greek epics and works Shakespeare
- Discussing medieval, Renaissance and Victorian literature
- Explaining the Harlem Renaissance and Native American oral tradition
- Analyzing a literary passage and drawing conclusions from a reading selection
- Defining inference, literal language and structure in writing
- Differentiating between free verse, concrete and haiku poetry
Language Use and Vocabulary
- Differentiating between connotation and denotation
- Using structural analysis and syntax to determine the meaning of words
- Defining language, language acquisition and linguistics
- Writing and identifying parallel sentences
- Avoiding confusion in clauses
Writing, Speaking and Listening
- Defining technical writing and informational texts
- Differentiating between narrative, descriptive, informative and evaluative essays
- Writing outlines, topic sentences, thesis statements, essay bodies and effective conclusions
- Comparing APA Chicago and MLA formats
- Editing and improving essay content
- Differentiating between the four types of speech delivery
- Outlining activities and ideas for class discussions
Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Course Format
This informative test prep course is made up of 203 lessons in 29 chapters that have been written by our experienced instructors. Use the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to ensure you're ready for exam day and to highlight areas that require additional focus.
Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 130
- Question Type: selected-response questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Exam Breakdown
|Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Language Use & Vocabulary||25%||33 questions|
|Writing, Speaking & Listening||37%||48 questions|
Registering and Preparing for the Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Exam
The Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge exam is offered continuously throughout the year. You can register for this computer-based exam through the Educational Testing Service website, by mail or by phone, though the latter option requires an additional fee. On the day of your test, you should arrive at the test center with your admission ticket, which can be accessed from your My Praxis account, and a photo ID.
Our professional educators have designed a series of brief video lessons and self-assessment quizzes to help you prepare for the exam. We've included the transcripts for each video, in case you learn better by reading than by watching. The practice test at the end of each chapter checks your understanding of primary concepts, and the final exam ensures you fully grasp the entire course and whether you are ready to succeed on the Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge exam.
For more information on registering and preparing for the Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge exam, check out our Praxis Informational Resources.
Praxis ELA - Content Knowledge Exam - Scoring
The score you need to earn on the Praxis ELA to qualify for certification depends on the state in which you're seeking licensure, since each state that uses the Praxis sets its own minimum score. Your score will be available online 10-16 business days after your test.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Online Master of English Language Arts Degrees with School Options
- Online Diplomas in English Language Arts with Program Overviews
- Online Undergraduate Courses in English Language Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Distance Learning Master of English Language Arts Degrees
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses