- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 68
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Family and Kinship: Patrilocality, Matrilocality & Neolocality
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis self-paced study guide covers all of the topics you'll find on the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences exam. Use our engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes to gauge your understanding of the exam's concepts and make sure you're ready to pass the test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
9 chapters in Praxis Family & Consumer Sciences (5122): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Refer to this extensive study guide to fully prepare yourself to answer all questions contained on the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences (5122) exam. You'll have the opportunity to review details about family structures, human development, consumer economics, and nutrition as well as effective instructional and assessment strategies employed by family and consumer science educators. This course utilizes short, easy-to-access video and text lessons to provide overviews of these topics that take only 5-10 minutes to review. Identify topics you might struggle with and access these lessons as many times as needed to develop a full understanding of these concepts so you're prepared for those questions on test day.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This guide is designed to cover all of the concepts you will encounter on the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences exam. You'll study facts about the family unit and parenting, human development theories and social development in children and adults. By the time you complete this course, you should be able to:
- Describe family life stages
- Detail cognitive and physical development from childhood through adulthood
- Provide information about learning disorders, abuse, neglect and behavioral issues
- List types of communication
- Discuss aspects of consumerism
- Understand eating disorders
- Apply instructional and classroom management techniques in this subject
This course is made up of 9 individual chapters broken down into 99 video and text lessons. Lessons are accessible 24/7 from any device and experts can be reached with any questions via a short contact form.
Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Exam Information
The Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences exam is used by several states as part of the licensing process for prospective middle and high school teachers specializing in this field of study. You must pass this exam to obtain the necessary licensure, and this study guide will help you learn what you need to know to successfully complete this test.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Preparing and Registering for the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Exam
Our study guide includes video lessons taught by experienced instructors. View them to find out what's covered on the exam and take the self-assessment quizzes as often as you'd like to reinforce your understanding of key topics. Additional resources include transcripts and links to text lessons outlining important terminology.
The paper-based version of the exam is administered once a year. You must sign up for it about a month before the test date to meet the regular registration deadline. The computer-based format is offered over the course of an annual two-week testing window.
Both versions of the test allow you to register online by submitting your contact and payment info. You can also sign up for the exam by mail. However, you'll still need internet access to complete the registration process for a computer-based test. Simply print your admission ticket and bring it along to the testing center. If you sign up for the paper-based test by mail, an admission ticket will be sent to your home address.
Scoring the Praxis Family and Consumer Sciences Exam
Scores for the paper-based exam are available in just under a month after taking it. You'll receive your scores for the computer-based exam 12 business days from the end of the testing window. The minimum passing score varies by state, though it ranges between 141 and 168 points.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Become a Family Lawyer? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- When to Use a Self-Assessment With Your Job Search Video
- Should I Major in Environmental Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Major in Political Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Major in Computer Science? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Self-Assessments for Choosing a Career Path Video
- Self-Paced Distance Learning: How Does IT Work?
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Should I Become a CPA? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a Sheriff? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses