- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 357
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are the Different Types of Numbers?
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefresh your knowledge of math concepts covered on the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge exam with help from this engaging study guide course. Our bite-sized lessons, mini quizzes and other resources can help you successfully pass the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
48 chapters in Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge (5161): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Study Guide
The Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge test assesses students' comprehension of important math concepts and is a common state requirement for educator licensure/certification and professional licensing requirement for organizations and associations. This study guide course is filled with entertaining lessons developed by top instructors to address exam topics like algebraic equations and expressions, asymptotes, complex numbers and inverse functions. We also ensure you understand data, graphing, rational functions, trigonometry and other related math concepts.
This course was last updated in 2019.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have comprehensive guides to the Praxis Math and Praxis Core with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge test, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by the Education Testing Service (ETS). Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Number and Quantity, Algebra, Functions and Calculus
- Defining real numbers and rational and irrational numbers
- Solving various types of word problems
- Converting fractions to percents and solving problems involving proportions
- Defining scientific notation
- Working with algebraic expressions, equations and fractions
- Describing linear equations and systems of equations
- Performing radical operations and working with exponents
- Using the distance formula
- Differentiating between inverse, logarithmic and rational functions
- Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing complex numbers
- Working with geometric sequences, series and probability
- Calculating permutations and factoring quadratic equations
- Performing operations with polynomials
- Defining a matrix and compound interest
- Discussing continuity, optimization and differentiation
Geometry, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics
- Performing basic operations with measurements
- Defining and measuring the area of regular polygons, parallelograms, rhombuses and trapezoids
- Describing the properties of circles and triangles
- Explaining the HL, HA and AAS theorems
- Working with three-dimensional shapes in geometry
- Calculating the standard deviation and defining frequency distributions
- Graphing absolute value equations
- Defining and applying the laws of sine and cosine
- Describing horizontal and vertical asymptotes
- Calculating derivatives of exponential and polynomial equations and using limits to calculate the derivative
- Using Riemann sums to calculate integrals
- Defining the binomial, mean value and intermediate value theorems
- Differentiating between descriptive and inferential statistics
- Interpreting scatterplots, histograms and box plots
- Listing and describing types of logical fallacies
Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Course Format
Our test prep course is made up of 309 lessons grouped into 47 chapters. Before you take the test, answer the questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to see if you're ready and where you need to study further.
Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 60
- Question Type: selected-response, numeric entry, text completion and drag-and-drop questions
- Time Limit: 150 minutes
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Numbers & Quantity, Algebra, Functions & Calculus||68%||41 questions||161|
|Geometry, Probability & Statistics, & Discrete Mathematics||32%||19 questions||148|
Registering and Preparing for the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Test
The Praxis Mathematics Content Knowledge test is offered via computer continuously throughout the year. Registration is possible online, by phone or via mail. Be sure to arrive at the testing center on time (30 minutes prior to test time is recommended) and bring your admission ticket and a photo ID.
You can refresh your math skills in preparation for the Praxis by completing our chapters on mathematics. Our brief video lessons are led by experienced educators, and the quizzes that accompany each lesson not only test your knowledge of math, but they also expose you to the types of questions you'll encounter come test day.
For more information on registering and preparing for the Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge exam, check out our Praxis Informational Resources.
Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Test - Scoring
The minimum score needed to pass the Praxis Mathematics Content Knowledge test, and thus qualify for teacher certification, is set by each individual state that uses the exam. Scores are available via phone and online approximately two to three weeks after the test. Your scores will also be sent to as many as three licensing agencies or institutions, which you can choose during the registration process.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Will Knowledge Help your Career?
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- What Are Some Exams Which Will Help ME in My Finance Career?
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- What to Wear on Exam Day & Other Tips on Successfully Passing the ACT & SAT
- How Do I Pass the A+ Certification Exam?
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How Tech Can Help Teachers Create Engaging Lesson Plans
- Strategies & Tips to Help You Pass Your Praxis Test
- Can I Study an MBA Without Business Knowledge?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts