- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 240
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Physical Education? - Definition & Overview
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryAs an aspiring physical education teacher, you will need to be knowledgeable about physical development, biomechanics, sports rules and motor skills. Use this study guide to brush up on these and other relevant topics as you prepare to take the Praxis Physical Education exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
This course is designed to help you prepare for the Praxis Physical Education (5091) exam with just a few weeks of study time. Video lessons and quizzes cover the health, exercise physiology, and education topics covered on the actual test, such as kinesiology, weight management, human body systems, sports rules, physical education instructional strategies and student motivation methods. You will easily access these fun and engaging video lessons from any device 24/7, so study is self-paced and convenient for your schedule. Track your progress using your handy Dashboard and use a brief online contact form to reach out to experts with any material-specific questions.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
With this extensive study guide, you will be able to review the topics addressed on the Praxis Physical Education exam. You can reexamine facts about motor skills, exercise, physical education classroom management and student assessments, biomechanics and the muscular system. When you complete your review, you should be able to:
- Define and discuss aspects of physical education
- Understand the benefits of health, nutrition and fitness
- Describe movement skills and patterns
- Discuss body types and weight management
- Detail the functions of the muscular and cardio-respiratory systems
- Provide details about connective tissue and the human skeletal system
- Explain the rules of various sports, such as soccer, volleyball, softball and tennis
- Apply effective communication and motivational methods in physical education classrooms
- Create instructional plans and conduct assessments in physical education
- Use resources and technologies in physical education
This course is made up of 27 individual chapters broken down into 253 video and text lessons. Lessons are taught by expert instructors and take only 5-10 minutes to review, making this a quick and effective way to review topics you have to know for this Praxis exam.
Praxis Physical Education Exam Information
If you live in a state that utilizes Praxis certification exams and wish to pursue a career as a physical education teacher, you will be required to pass the Praxis Physical Education exam. Using this study guide will help ensure that you achieve a passing score on this important test.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Physical Education Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Physical Education Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Physical Education Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Content Knowledge and Student Growth and Development||30%||36 questions||139|
|Management, Motivation and Communication||25%||30 questions||33|
|Planning, Instruction and Student Assessment||25%||30 questions||34|
|Collaboration, Reflection and Technology||20%||24 questions||8|
Preparing & Registering for the Praxis Physical Education Content Knowledge Exam
Prepare for the Praxis Physical Education Content Knowledge exam with this collection of lessons. The illustrated videos are taught by experienced instructors, so you can rest assured you'll be getting a thorough review of key physical education concepts and terminology. Plus, there are self-checking quizzes and practice tests you can take as many times as you need to feel confident in your test preparations.
Registration for Praxis exams is available through the ETS (Educational Testing Service) website, where you'll create a user account, select a test date and testing center, and submit payment information. If you need to pay for the test by mail, you can submit a voucher request form. After it has been processed, you'll receive a voucher number that allows you to complete the online registration process. Both registration methods require you to print out and bring an admission ticket with you on test day.
Scoring the Praxis Physical Education Content Knowledge Exam
Passing scores for this Praxis exam are set by individual state education departments. Minimum passing scores can range from 140 to 155 points out of a possible 200 points.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Become a Physical Education Teacher in Texas
- How to Become a Physical Education Teacher in Massachusetts
- Physical Education Teacher Education Requirements
- Requirements to Become a Physical Education (PE) Teacher
- How to Become a Physical Education (PE) Teacher Online
- Physical Education Teacher Certification in Virginia
- How to Become a Physical Education Teacher in North Carolina
- Physical Education Teacher Requirements in Ohio
- Physical Education Teacher Certification in Maine
- Become a Sports Physical Therapist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Bachelor of Business Administration BBA General Business Degree Overview
- Clinical Health Psychology Programs Education Options
- Masters in Information Systems Vs Masters in Information Technology
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Avionics Repair and Maintenance
- Criminal Justice Degree Program in Arlington, TX
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses