- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 214
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Counseling Intake Process & Initial Interview
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummarySchool psychologists must be knowledgeable in areas of, among other disciplines, developmental psychology and child psychopathology. You can use this course to review your understanding of these and other concepts as you prepare for the Praxis School Psychologist exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Use the fun and short video lessons in this course to quickly get up to speed on all the concepts you'll be asked about on the Praxis School Psychologist (5402) exam. Each video (average length is about five minutes) is accompanied by a self-assessment quiz to help you learn or review cognitive development theories, school consultation models, counseling strategies and case law. Lessons are accessible at all times, from any device, so you can easily fit studying into your schedule. Also, experts are readily available to field any questions you might have via a brief online contact form.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the topics you'll be tested on when taking the Praxis School Psychologist exam are addressed in this extensive study guide. Once you completely review this course, you should be able to discuss various aspects of educational psychology, apply psychological assessment methods and use counseling skills to recognize problems in school settings. You should also be able to:
- Discuss theories of intelligence
- Define stages and theories of cognitive development
- Assess early childhood and special education students
- Understand the development of academic skills
- Use counseling techniques in elementary, middle and high schools and colleges
- Apply strategies to promote learning
- Detail human development stages and developmental disorders
- Describe the effects of cultural differences on education
- Provide details about ethical and legal issues in psychology
- Talk about the history of school psychology and advocacy for children and families
This course is made up of 24 individual chapters broken down into 190 video and text lessons. Use your Dashboard to easily track your progress and take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure your knowledge as you move from one lesson to the next.
Praxis School Psychologist Exam Information
Many states require aspiring school psychologists to take this Praxis exam as a step in the licensure process. Reviewing this study guide will go a long way toward your successful taking of this required exam.
- Number of Questions: 140 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 20 minutes
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis School Psychologist Exam Breakdown
|Praxis School Psychologist Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis School Psychologist Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Professional Practices, Practices that Permeate All Aspects of Service Delivery||30%||42 questions||57|
|Direct and Indirect Services for Children, Families and Schools (Student-Level Services)||23%||32 questions||65|
|Systems-Level Services||16%||22 questions||21|
|Foundations of School Psychological Service Delivery||31%||44 questions||47|
Praxis School Psychologist Exam Preparation and Registration
The short and comprehensive video lessons in this study guide are all you need to prepare for the Praxis School Psychologist exam. Review different methods for identifying student problems and revisit intelligence theories, moral development theories, and measures of cognitive development and adaptive behavior. Dynamic graphics and animations bring school psychology concepts to life, and the quizzes and exams found throughout the course help you retain key knowledge.
Test-takers can register online for this exam. You'll need to create an online account and have your payment form ready. Once you've chosen a test location and date, you'll be able to list the schools you want to receive your test results. Be sure to print the admission ticket and take it with you to the exam. Changes to your test date or registration must be made no later than four days before your scheduled test date. On test day, bring your approved form of ID and your admission ticket. Plan to leave all of your personal belongings in a locker since you can't bring anything with you into the testing room.
Praxis School Psychologist Exam Scoring
You'll get your scores about 2-3 weeks after the testing window you were a part of closes. Scores are sent to your selected institutions and, potentially, your state's educator licensing department, depending on which state you plan to teach in. In most states, you'll need to score a 147 to pass the exam. The score report will indicate whether you passed or not. The score report will also show you a range of possible scores and your raw points.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Do I Get a School Psychologist Certificate?
- How Do You Become a Psychologist?
- School Psychologist Advancement Opportunities
- Can You Be a School Psychologist with a Bachelor's Degree?
- Can You Be a School Psychologist with a Master's Degree?
- How Do You Become a Psychologist Without a Bachelor's in Psychology?
- Salary and Career Information for School Psychologists
- Difference Between School Counselor & School Psychologist
- Child Psychologist: Career Profile
- Can You Be a Child Psychologist with a Master's Degree?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses