- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 253
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this extensive study guide, you will have the opportunity to learn about child development and classroom management practices and instructional strategies for the successful teaching of pre-K students. This is a great resource to help you prepare for the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
29 chapters in Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
In this study guide course, you'll find a collection of lessons designed to help you do your very best on the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education exam. The lessons highlight child development in young children, the basics of early childhood education and influences on early childhood development. Review these lessons often in order to feel confident when you face the exam.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
From assessments and instruction to planning and adaptive techniques, this course is designed to clarify subjects you might be tested on when sitting for the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education exam. You will gain insight into how young children develop and the basics of early childhood education as well as developmental delays and the education of special needs students. You will also find effective strategies for teaching specific subjects to pre-K students, such as art, physical education, math, science and social studies. After you have completed a thorough review of this guide, you should be able to:
- Explain the cognitive, social, emotional and language development of young children
- Discuss the history, trends and theories of early childhood education
- Understand types of early childhood disabilities and disorders
- Describe federal legislation impacting exceptional students
- Develop instructional plans that accommodate special needs students and use assistive technology
- Create multicultural instruction plans
- Design effective and safe learning environments
- Apply effective classroom management methods
- Develop art, science, social studies, physical education, health and math pre-K curricula
- Use strong instructional and assessment strategies and grouping techniques
- Collaborate with families and advocate for early childhood education
Our course is comprised of 233 lessons in 28 chapters that discuss the content you'll be expected to know on test day. Assess your knowledge with our quizzes and chapter exams.
Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Exam Information
Aspiring pre-K teachers must pass the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education exam in order to obtain necessary licensure in some states. This exam is computer-based and consists of questions covering the following five content categories: early childhood development; teaching and supporting diverse children; creating learning environments; teaching and learning, the instructional process, content knowledge and assessment; and professionalism, family and community.
- Number of Questions: 100
- Question Type: selected-response questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $120
Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Early Childhood Development||17%||17 questions||38|
|Teaching & Supporting Diverse Children||14%||14 questions||25|
|Creating a Developmentally Appropriate Learning Environment||20%||20 questions||43|
|Teaching & Learning||25%||25 questions||96|
|Professionalism, Family & Community||24%||24 questions||31|
Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Exam Preparation & Registration
This course offers one of the easiest, most effective ways to prepare for the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education exam. The video and text lessons found in this study guide address details about assistive and early childhood educational technology, differentiated and adaptive instruction, multicultural curriculum, positive and safe classroom development, classroom management, instructional methods and learning activities, integrated curriculum and forms of assessment. You will also review basic concepts in pre-K content areas, such as math, science and social studies. In addition, there are lessons that focus on early childhood education ethics, professional development, and community and family collaboration. Other lessons focus on child developmental milestones and stages, psychological and psychosocial theories of development and various factors affecting child development. Short lessons are designed to be completed in ten minutes or less, and you'll have the option to print transcripts for quick reference purposes. Chapter and lesson exams and quizzes can be used to determine your comprehension of these subjects and your readiness to take this Praxis exam.
You have the option to register for this or any Praxis exam online or by phone or mail. When registering online, you must create an account on the ETS website and complete payment of required fees with a credit or debit card. An admission ticket will be emailed to you following this online process, which you must print and take with you to the testing site on the day of your exam. The ETS website also allows you to print out the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form; send this completed form to ETS by mail if not registering online. A voucher with registration instructions will be mailed to you once this form is received by ETS. By phone, simply call the toll-free number and pay fees as you would online. An additional charge for phone registration may apply.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Education Requirements for Teaching Pre-K Classes
- Teaching Students with Disabilities: Strategies for Regular Classrooms
- How to Become a Pre-Kindergarten Teacher: Career Roadmap
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- 6 Ways Parents Can Help Their Child Prepare for the SAT
- Teaching Strategies | Instructional Strategies & Resources
- Co-Teaching Strategies That Were Effective in My Classroom
- Here's How I Successfully Prepared for My 1st Year of Teaching
- Teaching ELL Students | Strategies for English Language Learners | Study.com
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses